BP

My Girlfriend bought

The Topsy Turvy Strawberry thing.
I went to Home Depot and bought a Bonnie Plants "Quinault" everbearing strawberry variety. It looks like there are 5 or 6 plants in it and a few runners shooting out.
With the little research I have done, it seems we will get more and larger berries if I clicp the runners. Do you agree? When clipping runners, do I clip as close to the plant as possible or out a ways? If I put that clipped runner in a glass of water or in dirt, will grow roots and turn into a berry bearing plant? The "thing" as I'm calling it for the time being has 15 holes for plants and suggests 2 plants per hole. do you agree? I went to the "things" website and see where people have grown a variety of plants in the same "thing". Opinions? Possible 2 strawberry plants per hole on the top level of 5 holes, 1 cucumber per hole 2nd level of 5 holes, and 1 tomato plant per hole bottom level of 5 holes? Enough space for all of those roots?
Like I said, She bought this and told me she wanted strawberries and after seeing pics of multi plant planting wants a way of doing it. I do the gardening, but don't know about these "things". :roll:
Please help............ Experiences, opinions, and or tips will be greatly appreciated.

donworden
Cool Member

I guess I will jump in and discuss... It has been my observation that those blasted Tt's (Topsie Turvie) are not for the beginner... They claim they are, but I have seen more failures than I have successes. I will not talk bad about them, but personally I just wont use one. But that doesnt mean that my mind is closed on them. I may buy one next year just to attempt so I can speak with some sort of authority on the matter.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Don't trim off the runners ! Quinalts will fruit on the runners !

BP

Thanks for the advice. Today she brought home the Topsy Turvy Tomato Tree. I just got done making fun of a buddy of mine (with a big garden) after finding out his wife had him use one last year. All we have to grow on is an apartment balcony and this place is STRICT. Wonder if they will approve of bean vines growing up and between the spindles?
Anyway, I'm going to experiment with the tree and rig something up to hang the strawberry one since we can't install a hook. I still plan on getting planters that hang off the handrail and I have a few 5 gallon buckets too. This will be interesting lol.

BP

I assembled The Topsy Turvy tree and planted a few tomatoes in it. Pink girl, sweet 100, delicious, brandywine, and better boy. Also a pepper plant. It said 2 tomato plants per hole so that's what I did. It seems like a lot, but we will see. I'll be planting the strawberry one soon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”