pickupguy07

MrBoZiffer wrote:What do ya'll think of this? https://www.buglogical.com/

I could order some ladybugs, praying mantis eggs, nematodes, and lacewings. I guess I could also keep planting flowers that attract them, but I admit that the idea of unleashing them from a box is appealing. :lol:
I'm a newbie here.. so I don't know much. But I want to pass this along
I've "heard" it's OK to order the lady bugs... problem is when you release them.
Like someone else said.. they just fly away
Here's the tip I heard. The bugs come in some kind of 'cold' container so they are pretty dormant. Then you let them warm up and you see them moving. THAT'S when most people release them.. hence the problem. They fly off.
What I read was that youget some sort of cheesecloth or other very fine material and put the bugs in that for 10 days to two weeks. That way when you release them they are warm AND hungry. They stand a much better chance of staying around as they eat the first (closest) things they find,.. then they have no reason to leave..

I hadn't tried.. I just read about it... but I have a lack of ladybugs also so I may go this route also. I do have some marigolds planted along with several herbs they are said to like.. so I am still hoping. :-) Even put a cute little ladybug house next to my bug attracting plants, and next to the garden. (fingers crossed)

MrBoZiffer

Moley wrote:Soil PH was naturally below 5? grow blueberries and never stop
:lol: I did last year. They did pretty well until some roofers destroyed them. Maybe I'll plant some more.

MrBoZiffer

pickupguy07 wrote:
MrBoZiffer wrote:What do ya'll think of this? https://www.buglogical.com/

I could order some ladybugs, praying mantis eggs, nematodes, and lacewings. I guess I could also keep planting flowers that attract them, but I admit that the idea of unleashing them from a box is appealing. :lol:
I'm a newbie here.. so I don't know much. But I want to pass this along
I've "heard" it's OK to order the lady bugs... problem is when you release them.
Like someone else said.. they just fly away
Here's the tip I heard. The bugs come in some kind of 'cold' container so they are pretty dormant. Then you let them warm up and you see them moving. THAT'S when most people release them.. hence the problem. They fly off.
What I read was that youget some sort of cheesecloth or other very fine material and put the bugs in that for 10 days to two weeks. That way when you release them they are warm AND hungry. They stand a much better chance of staying around as they eat the first (closest) things they find,.. then they have no reason to leave..

I hadn't tried.. I just read about it... but I have a lack of ladybugs also so I may go this route also. I do have some marigolds planted along with several herbs they are said to like.. so I am still hoping. :-) Even put a cute little ladybug house next to my bug attracting plants, and next to the garden. (fingers crossed)
I'll keep this mind. Hopefully they'll soon come on their own. But ordering them still sounds like fun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”