Jbest

Asparagus

Finally getting something from the garden. It has been a three year wait but worth the effort. The subsoil was double dug with lots of compost spaded in. The two boxes for the bed were 10â€

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

They look great!
I put in 10 Jersey Supreme crowns this spring. Happy to report that all have at least one 18-inch shoot, some two or three.
I was hoping I could sneak a few spears next year. Did you harvest any in the second year, or leave them untouched?

soil
Greener Thumb

this was the third year for one of our asparagus patches, I love that fresh asparagus. half the time I don't even cook it. just pick, wash and eat.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Mine just started coming up today! One month and two days since I planted it!! :D

rkunsaw

Two years ago I built a 4 x 40 foot raised bed for asparagus and planted 10 each of purple passion and jersey supreme.We've been eating a lot this year and my wife has canned some.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Brian,
I was hoping I could sneak a few spears next year. Did you harvest any in the second year, or leave them untouched?
I am of the opinion that it doesn't hurt the crowns that much if you take some shoots in the spring the following year after it was first planted. Even if they are only the size of a pencil, they are great eating. They will have plenty of time to grow and expand the root system if you quit picking mid June.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”