GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Garlic.....what the heck??

Sorry to start another garlic thread....but this is weird.

I was outside today and I noticed that in the middle of all of my garlic shoots, right before the leaves start to branch from the plant, there appears to be a small, divided clove bursting out of the stem. I have never seen this in any of my less than thorough garlic growing research.

I started all of mine from cloves bought from the food store, so who knows what kind they are. But here's a pic. Thoughts?

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/downsized_0513111649.jpg[/img]

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Must be a male garlic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I've had a few of those show up on softneck garlic. If it is happening on all of the plants I suspect that the variety is not adapted to your climate. Storebought probably came from California or China (China if the roots were ground off).

rdisbrow
Newly Registered

ruggr10 wrote:Must be a male garlic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and tough, too! 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

All pretty normal.

I like Wikipedia. [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic]Check this out![/url]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

If it's normal, Jal, what is it? I didn't see anything on wikipedia. Didn't know if it was just how the scape started or if it was going to be another clove, or if it was just producing bulbils in a crazy spot.

soil
Greener Thumb

those will end up as little tiny cloves, you can plant them. I get a few each year and plant them. they take a year to become regular size.

sometimes if you don't cut the scapes they will flower and youll end up with a hundred or so tiny cloves, they take two years to become regular size,the good thing about these is not all of the "seeds" come out the same. giving you some variety to choose from for your next generations.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

thanks soil. Seems like such an odd place for them to grow a little clove. Thanks for the pointers!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”