wordwiz
Green Thumb

Finally - a good day in the garden!

The ground was a bit moist, especially this morning but I'll trade a few clay balls for the opportunity to finally get some stuff planted. Tilled a bunch of ground yesterday and let it sit. Tilled it again early this morning - that's one reason it was not quite as dry as I would have preferred, but rain was predicted by noon. Ran out of tilled ground before I ran out of seeds and time, so tilled another 6-foot wide area. It too, was a bit damp but not too much so.

Planted 125 feet of potatoes (Yukon Gold and Kinnebeck) and 80 feet of Kentucky Blue Pole Beans.

The rains came, albeit about four hours later than predicted. Believe it or not, the garden needed it. I had planted a lot of strawberries, carrots, sugar snap peas (transplants), some onions and basil that had not received any significant rain since going in the ground. I also had tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, more strawberries, three blackberry and five raspberry bushes and two cherry trees that were starting to look thirsty. Plus, I had side-dressed the tomatoes and lettuce earlier this week (Tomato-tone and Blood Meal) so the rain will help that also.

Hopefully, this is the start to something good!

Mike

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Sounds great, wordwiz. You have been busy. I know what you mean about plowing it just a little bit early. It is hard to resist getting that seed in the ground. Good luck with your efforts.

My garden had to fight for some time and TLC this year as I have been working on a renovation project. But, alas, it is showing me that I am pretty much not needed for it to be productive. Maybe the garden likes it that way, without so much attention from me. But I feel like I need to vist each day to see what has grown

altsciguy

Hey Mike you are ahead of me. I have a lot of clay (the garden is better, but clay is the base soil and the garden is surrounded with it.) I have had standing water everywhere for a month now. I tilled once back in March I think and could not get back in, too wet, until yesterday. I tilled yesterday evening and again this evening. I am hoping to dodge the rain tomorrow and start my planting (a good day and I may get most in and get caught up.) I do have peas in, but I think they are drowning. Alive but slow growing. This week of warm weather has dried the soil enough to till and the peas are starting to spring up. Horseradish is loving it, it seems, but garlic and asparagus is lagging. (those are my over winter/perennial plants) It has been wet wet wet!!!

altsciguy

I was planting in the rain part of the time, my paths are packed down hard but..... the garden is in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”