gardenvt
Green Thumb

Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower for the first time

I have some healthy seedlings that will be ready to go into the garden in about 4 weeks. Do they need anything special?

I hear people talk about row covers, flea beetles and buttlflies - is that an issue here in the Northeast, too?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Many bugs, from aphids to the cabbage moth worms, like the cole crops. You will need to do something to address the bugs to be successful with them.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Many bugs, from aphids to the cabbage moth worms, like the cole crops. You will need to do something to address the bugs to be successful with them.
Do ladybugs actually eat these pests? I see canisters of ladybugs for sale at Armstrong's; I'm tempted to buy them just because they're cute, and my son wants to buy the praying mantises because "they're awesome," but I'm wondering if they actually work.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

James, what do you do to address the issue of these pests?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

your cold weather plants aren't getting planted for four more weeks? That seems really late. I know your seasons up there in VT are a lot different. It looks like your last frost date is sometime in June (and you may only have three frost free months!! how do you grow anything?! I hate Ohio because we have only six frost free months).

Anyway, I usually transplant brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower etc) out into the garden about a month ahead of my average last frost date. If hardened off well they are quite frost tolerant. And they don't like hot weather.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Our average last frost date is May 15 where I live though we occassionally get a frost through the end of the month. Our average fall frost is in Sept but we don't usually get a frost where I live until well into October - often the end of Oct.

I didn't plan on growing the cabbage family but after building three raised beds, we had enough soil for a few more. Why not grow something we can have later in the season? I purchased my seeds from a very reputable seed source and following their instructions for starting and planting out. I purchased varieties that are suitable for my area and planting/harvest time with their guidance. Broccoli can be planted twice here and the cauliflower should be ready in August. The brussel sprouts will certainly appreciate a frost for added flavor.

We grow amazing gardens here - harvested our first tomatoes last year in mid-July. I didn't pull the eggplant,pepper & tomato plants until well into October last year. I will continue to grow those plants in 15 gal containers.

I think when you grow what is suitable for your area, one can be very successful in the garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”