edreed20

Root maggots

I just found out that I have root maggots destroying my radishes, atleast half of the radishes I've pulled have had damage, and many have had actual maggots crawling on them. :evil: Thats bad enough but radishes aren't my main concern, I am really anticipating my onion crop alot more, and I've read the maggots like onions also. Thats worrying because my main row of onions are 8" away from my radishes, plus there was no above ground evidence of damage to the radishes, only when I pulled them did I figure it out.

The onions are growing great, the tops are nice and green and about a foot high. I did have to pull one, the top was only few inches long, a nasty yellow color, and had fallen over. When I pulled it the bulb wasn't much bigger then the sets I planted, it was very squishy, and it had some sort of white maggot on it. I don't know if it was the same bug or not and I also don't know if the bug is what killed the onion or the onion being dead is what attracted the bug?

What can I do to get rid of these things so I can save my radishes, and should I be worried about my onions?

rootsy
Green Thumb

They are specifically cabbage maggots. There really isn't a one shot wonder to totally eradicate them.

I've found that if I sift sulfur down the row after planting radish seed that I tend to end up with radishes with NO maggots. This was an experiment I did last year after losing the first 3 rounds of radish to cabbage maggots. After the sulfur I had very little if any infestation.

The theory is that the cabbage fly does not like the sulfur in the soil and will therefore not lay eggs in that location.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has experimented with this and the results.

edreed20

Anyone else? Are my onions at risk?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”