sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

do I need to harden off seedlings without true leaves?

will those get sun burned as well? or is it just the real true leaves that will burn?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I think true leaves or not, all seedlings started inside should be hardened off. None of them are prepared for the bright sunlight or the wind/rain/night temps/etc :D

I think I waited too long to start mine hardening off, so with my newer seeds I'm starting earlier with them, before the first true leaves even start.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

do you think the hardening off time is not as long if they're newer?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh wow, ok!

So, what about putting them out all day in the cold frame on an overcast day? will they do ok ALL day? or do I still need to limit the time? I can never remember this info.

applestar
Mod

Generally speaking, younger seedlings are hardier to the cold but not to the DIRECT sun and the wind.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, here is todays situation. it is overcast and it is currently 58*. its supposed to get near 70* today and potentially sunny this afternoon.

would you put them in the cold frame all day or just a little bit?

the seedlings at question are cucumbers and okra and potentially melons. I want to get the melons someplace hot, but it looks like that won't happen today. its not hot! but I"m going to need to acclimate them to outside if I'm going to get them hot in the cold frame...

SPierce
Greener Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:OK, here is todays situation. it is overcast and it is currently 58*. its supposed to get near 70* today and potentially sunny this afternoon.

would you put them in the cold frame all day or just a little bit?

the seedlings at question are cucumbers and okra and potentially melons. I want to get the melons someplace hot, but it looks like that won't happen today. its not hot! but I"m going to need to acclimate them to outside if I'm going to get them hot in the cold frame...
IMHO, I would still start out slowly, and work them up. Were they grown under lights? if so, start out in a shady area and leave them out for a few hours, then back inside, and then next day you can work them up from there. I've been hardening off my regular seedlings since last week, and finally got to the point where I can keep them out all day.

If they were grown in a sunny window like mine was, it's likely to be less of a problem since they're used to the sun-- but if they aren't, I wouldn't want to risk sunburning them...

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yeah, they were grown under the lights. I killed some seedlings this year already from not hardening off right. but I wasn't sure if overcast was different or if the baby ones made a difference. looks like its "do it right" LOL and in the shade they go, if I can figure out what shade is with overcast LOL!!!!!

TWC015

I don't have much patience with hardening off seedlings, so I don't take long to do this.

My hardening off process is: first 2 days: outside all day in dappled shade area, I may bring them in at night, but I usually leave them outside; next 3 days, they go in an area with morning and early afternoon sun, followed by shade. The remaining days until I plant them are usually in an area with full sun. If it is windy, I may move them where they get less sun, but probably not.

I do get a few older leaves that are sun/wind scalded, but the new leaves grow and replace them fast enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”