Dixana
Greener Thumb

Corn!!!

I'm so EXCITED! Mikey disked up the field from the edge of the yard to the bags of feed on the edge of the field so we HAVE ROOM TO PLANT CORN!!! There's HUGE space of land there and I mean HUUUGE. Probably close to an acre. We (my SIL and I) put melons on one end and are going to fill the rest in with corn. I'm just ecstatic!!
So who has suggestions for the best types of sweet corn? :D We'll be planting a little late, but seed will be going in next week as soon as we decide on a variety!
What do ya'll like best?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Get a corn with a sugar enhancer . It cost a little more but is much better in taste compared to anything else. You may want to plant a few rows of a red sweet corn offered by burpee! I would also plant a medium early and a later corn. I planted a late corn years ago called candy corn that is very tall and had two ears on each plant!.It was a yllw. Silver queen is a good late white about 90 days with big ears but try the sugar enhanced corn you will not be sorry!
+++
Agway has some sugar inhanced white corns and you can get their catalog in their stores and they have the seeds in store or can ordwer in a few days!. I think white is the best and keeps sweet longer in the field compared to yellow or even by color! The candy corn also had a better wrap on oits ears to protect fro worms! I would go with a 70 day and a 90 day and try the red which is I think 75 days! I really got into the types of corn several years ago in detail. I planted 10 acres about 12 years ago and also had a field of strawberry pop corn and indian corn!Hope this helped. If you have a corn planter use 10-20-20 as you side fertilizer!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Be careful planting different varieties. There is standard corn, SE corn and Su corn. You do not want to mix pollen from the standard corn with the other two types, or SE pollen with the Su type. If you are going to plant the different types pay attention to the days to pollen drop and offset the varieties so they don't cross. WHY? It is weird, but corn is the one plant where the type of pollen affects the sweetness of this year's crop. You will not get the expected sweetness if the ears get the wrong pollen. You could plant all SE type or all Su type and not have a problem.

I like Ambrosia a SE type. I just plant every two weeks so I get offset harvests.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Some varities do require isolation so ask when you get the seeds. That is why I suggested a late and a early varity. If you grow a few rows of red plant it on the opposite side of the 90 day corn with the late corn in the middle so you can plant three types! I do not like to plant the same variety in consecutive order since sometimes the works seem to know what you are doing! They usuallyn plant early corns that way and I think the mid season and late corn have the best taste! There are even 60 dat cors like goden battam bt the sweetness is not there. By the enhanced seeds even if they cost you $20 more you will be hap wih them!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

My only experience with growing corn is finding all of my seedlings dug out by some critters, re-planting, and having the same result. With that in mind, you know not to trust me when I say that Silver Queen is always the most common type that I have heard is the best to grow and the most asked for at produce stands. A relative of mine (with decades of experience) tells me that the sweetness comes from lots of nitrogen. I have also heard that picking in the early morning ensures maximum sweetness.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Silver queen is a very late corn abut 90 days. Its not as sweet as a hybrid corn with a sugar enhanser which you can et at 70 days. The enhansed corn has one of every three cornels with extra swetness. I like the white the best but you can check. I would plant a acre with a seed planter that puts fertilizer to the side of the row. The seeds are burried several inches down where birds cannot reach them. Sometimes the black birds will attack the new sprouted corn and pull a few out! Get out the bb gun!.

Spicy Chicken

My 3 favorites in this order.

Jubilee 90-105 days. The grandpa of hybrid corn. If you want high quality yellow corn, Jubilee F1 Sweet Corn is the one. Excellent quality for roasting, canning or freezing.

Bodacious 80-90 days Packed large, juicy golden kernels---18 full rows on every 8-inch ear. Bodacious Hybrid Sweet Corn has sweet, flavorful and exceptionally tender!

Serendipity, 82 days. produces mouthwatering, tender, bicolor kernels with a perfect balance between sugary sweet and traditional corn flavor.

Do you plan on selling, canning or freezing? Half acre or more of corn is a lot.
We freeze over 200 quarts of cream corn each year for ourselves, Lee’s corn cutter/creamer.
(not like the cream corn you buy in the can, YUK)

I am in the same zone as you; I have planted as late as the second week of June with no problems.

Normally I start the last week of May (ground temp, needs to warm) and every 7 days start a new plot, also noticed that no matter when you plant it all seems to mature roughly at the same time, I stick with one variety per year.

I also have field corn all the way around me so my timing has to be just right, I talk to the farms to see what their gestation period is and plan accordingly.

[img]https://driedhotpeppers.com/Creaming_Corn/Creaming_Corn_Thumb0003.JPG[/img]

Larger.
[url]https://driedhotpeppers.com/Creaming_Corn/Creaming_Corn0003.JPG[/url]

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Many of the TV garden shows suggest plantins Silver Queen because of its excellent flavor. Silver Queen wins 1st place in flavor an many county fair contests. I have tried several types of sweet corn and I like Silver Queen best.

Everyone has their favorite corn. Some people like corn with large ears. Some people like yellow corn because that is what their family has always planted. Some people like white corn. Lots of folks have their own favorite for their own reasons. You need to try several and decide which one you like best.

Be careful planting several different types of corn near each other they will cross pollinate then you won't know for sure what you have.

Corn starts to loose its sweetness 15 minutes after it is picked so have your water boiling already before you pick you corn.

Buy several different types of corn at the farmers market to see which one you like best.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Ruby Queen is a red sweet corn, sugary enhanced (se) with the same DTM as Ambrosia (65 days).

Sugary enhanced corns do not loose their sugar as fast as normal (su)sweet corn so you don't have to start boiling the water before you go out to the garden.

In zone 4 you could consider planting some of the fast maturing Native American flour corns, which can be eaten in the milk stage or left to mature for grinding or parching corn (like Corn Nuts but not as hard).

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I'm not worried about a half an acre (or a smidge more) being too much corn. Our family is 3 going on 4 and my SIL has her hubby and 5 kids.
We'll be eating a LOT of the corn fresh and more than likely freezing the rest as whole ears. I'm not a fan of cream corn
and I'd be worried it wouldn't be as good canned.
I'm only going to plant one variety also. The corn you speak of bobberman sounds like the corn mandy tried a few years ago. Because it was too long of season the corn ended up with 6 inch ears and everyone was disappointed.
The corn will also be fertilized with nitrogen by one of the farm guys. Normally I'm pretty organic, but seeing as the corn will be in the field which has been regularly treated with pesticides and fertilizer I'm not going to bother.
Fresh sweet corn....mmmmmmm. Is silver queen a hybrid? I want to plant a variety I can find locally and won't have to order.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Xtra Tender 2170... Trust me... you WILL NOT come back disappointed. This was the fresh market hybrid I grew last year and I am growing again. I have people driving from Indiana and Ohio to get it. One of the sweetest, best eating hybrids available at this time. It is a straight hybrid in the augmented super sweet family.

Pricy at about $20 / lb. Seed I received this year is graded at just under 3700 seeds / lb.

Northern Indiana sweet corn trial from 2010...

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/fruitveg/rep_pres/2010-11/maynard10_sh2corn_final.pdf
Last edited by rootsy on Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TWC015

Silver Queen is a su hybrid corn. Almost all sweet corn is hybrid. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it locally, however. Silver Queen is very cheap at my local seed store.

I'm growing sweet corn for the first time this year. I have Silver Queen growing, though I do have seed for some of the newer hybrids. My corn is also on a much smaller scale.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would plant at least two varities a mid season and a late. Silver queen has many off shoots like silver king, bi-queen. Plant the sugar ehanser mid season 70 day the the rest in a later variety like silver king or queen. Late season sometimes gets trounced by worms or drout but like you said you have lost of help for only one acre! Good luck!

soil
Greener Thumb

I planted a corn called "rainbow inca" from seed savers I think. anyways this corn is beautiful and tasty. and not only is it good eating corn, its good for drying and making flour too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Illini Extra sweet. I planted this corn years ago and it was excellent. This article from the University tells about the super sweets. Hope it helps! I had all kinds of books on corn that I studied years ago!
+++

https://news.illinois.edu/ii/03/0807/sweetcorn.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”