sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the potato starts are rotted :(

I got a bag of seed potatoes at the fedco sale and I just went to cut them into pieces and they're rotted :( I assume they won't grow right? it seems as though they're rotted where the eyes are. I"m so bummed.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Even if they did grow you don't want the pathogen (e.g Fusarium et al) in the soil with the new plants and the tubers they will be growing. I would ask for your money back (supposed to be certified disease free!) and get some new seed tubers locally so you won't have to wait on the mail to plant.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

sigh........ I guess I need to call them. I'm pretty upset about it. I got the ones I always wanted too. :( grrrrr

now, before I call them, was it my fault? I didn't put them in the fridge. I left them in the bag in my house. so they were unfridgerated for a week and a half.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

No, it wasn't your fault. Mine sat on the laundry room floor at room temperature from November until March.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

wow. ok.. yeah. what a complete bummer. :( this stinks. I hope I can find more of this variety.

applestar
Mod

Good luck! Too bad this happened, but if anything, I think they should be sprouting not rotting. Maybe it's actually a good thing you didn't plant right away....

You'll probably want a relatively shorter maturity variety -- short season or mid season?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

sigh.... so does this mean that it is too late to plant that type if I get replacements?

applestar
Mod

Well, planted now, you'd have 120 days until mid-September right? So not uless it takes longer than that, and most don't. When is your first frost?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

hmmm,.... mid sept I think is first frost

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

looks like it is a midseason variety?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”