SPierce
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:They're squash; most cookbooks (and on-line recipe collections) have recipes for stuffed squash blossoms.

Ooh, maybe dinner later this week has changed? :wink:

Cynthia
My squash and pumpkins aren't even in the ground yet. Alas, no blossoms for me, yet. Sometime soon, though, I hope!

As long as chipmunks don't eat everything while I'm away on vacation! :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:
TheWaterbug wrote:Pollination is easy--just break off the pointy part of a male flower and stick it into the, uh, receptacle of the female flower. Some brushing against the female bits allegedly helps as well. G-rated pictures :D of the procedure [url=https://nefaeriaofetsy.blogspot.com/2010/08/giving-pumpkins-hand-in-love.html]can be seen here.[/url]
I guess i'll have to remember that :D So it's OK to remove parts of the male flower? it won't hurt the pumpkin plant?
I generally get 5x-10x as many male flowers as female flowers, and the male flowers begin blooming earlier than the females so as to attract the bees (here we go again!) and keep them coming.

It only takes one male flower to pollinate a female.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Ugh. The darn things took out my biggest/best looking lettuce last night. Augh!

donworden
Cool Member

What you need is a critter control critter... for the little ones, I have a jack russel pug mix dog... funnier as all get out as she runs across the yard, stops dead in her tracks and starts listening to the ground.. I have seen her start digging and un earth moles... works for me...
USDA Zone 5
Sunset Zone 41

SPierce
Greener Thumb

donworden wrote:What you need is a critter control critter... for the little ones, I have a jack russel pug mix dog... funnier as all get out as she runs across the yard, stops dead in her tracks and starts listening to the ground.. I have seen her start digging and un earth moles... works for me...
I wish! Alas, we have outdoor cats from my neighbors that hang around, but they don't seem to do anything. I went out and picked up a 50ft roll of chicken wire, to put around the garden instead of the fence i've got now. If something manages to get into my raised beds from there- well- there's nothing i can do about that! :shock:

BP

Chipmunks can fit through some chickenwire and climb what they can't fit through. Sorry if this is too harsh for some, but Rat traps (larger than mouse traps) work great on chipmunks.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

BP wrote:Chipmunks can fit through some chickenwire and climb what they can't fit through. Sorry if this is too harsh for some, but Rat traps (larger than mouse traps) work great on chipmunks.
If they can fit through this, i'll be out there with a shot gun all day :D

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Garden-58.jpg[/img]

So far so good for this weekend, actually. Nothing's been dug up since i changed the fence!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

i used 1/2" wire mesh, much smaller than chicken wire low enough so that i could step over it and get into my area, so far the chippy munk girl we have has not figured out how to climb over it and my caulifower plants all came back but one (she killed that one) so far so good for me, but seeing as someone in here was asking to share chippymunk stories i thought i would share too! lol

SPierce
Greener Thumb

WinglessAngel wrote:i used 1/2" wire mesh, much smaller than chicken wire low enough so that i could step over it and get into my area, so far the chippy munk girl we have has not figured out how to climb over it and my caulifower plants all came back but one (she killed that one) so far so good for me, but seeing as someone in here was asking to share chippymunk stories i thought i would share too ! lol
Glad I'm not alone- but also sad to hear you're dealing with a similar issue! Hopefully both our wire mesh fences will keep them out, out, out!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

so far she has stayed out and no more has been needed to do to that area, cross our fingers for e1 lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”