gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Garlic with yellow tips

Is this a sing of anything my garlic is growing huge probably 3 1/2 feet or so. It is still healthy it seems and grwoing fast with new shoots showing up all the time, but the tips have been yellow for a month or more. I did put down some organic nitrogen a week or so ago lightly and the watering is about right as of late.

Inailum
Cool Member

gixxerific wrote:Is this a sing of anything my garlic is growing huge probably 3 1/2 feet or so. It is still healthy it seems and grwoing fast with new shoots showing up all the time, but the tips have been yellow for a month or more. I did put down some organic nitrogen a week or so ago lightly and the watering is about right as of late.
I'm anxious to receive info on this as well. My garlic is doing the same exact thing. I'm not sure its a sign that its growing huge or not. I cheated and dug down into the dirt a little to see what was happening down there and to my surprise the garlic was only as big around as my thumb. I just wasn't sure because everything I have read said to harvest it when there were two dead shoots and two healthy shoots but mine have more then four just like yours do. So I'm guessing we just wait longer. lol I like sneaking a peak though, I do it to my radishes all time. :D

Des_WA

From what I understand and have observed, the yellowing of the tips of leaves in alliums is related to too much water. In western Washington we've had an overabundance of water (not as bad as some, but still way more than usual) and all my garlic and shallots plants have yellow tips.

Not a whole lot to be done about it other than trying to put up the plastic around the hoophouse they are in, but I'm too lazy to deal with putting it back up every time it gets windy. :)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Mine are doing the same thing, the onions next to them too. Thanks Des for the info! We're in an incredible drought here and it looks like I'm overdoing it on the water.

Inailum
Cool Member

hit or miss wrote:Mine are doing the same thing, the onions next to them too. Thanks Des for the info! We're in an incredible drought here and it looks like I'm overdoing it on the water.
See I don't about the watering here where I'm at. I only water once a day right now while its still cool (80's) and all my onions are doing great. I'll do some research and let you know what I find out.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

All this talk about yellow tips, I had to run out and take a picture.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03359.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03360.jpg[/img]
I also have a few yellow tips but not bad. You can see the standing water in the picture. It rained again today. :evil: I'm not to concerned about a few yellow tips, it's rust I'm worried about. Last year leaf rust was bad and I harvested a little earlier then normal. They were good size bulbs anyway.

2010 Garlic Rust
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02332.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

Eric, does that start out as streaky leaves? I have light colored streaky leaves on some of my garlic that has been worrying me.... :?

soil
Greener Thumb

my garlic thinks it wants to be done early this year, scapes are already coming up and yellowing has begun. still going to be a great harvest of 700+ garlic.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Here are mine they are a bit more yellow than yours. But we did have WAY WAY more snow and rain that normal. If the excessive water has something to do with it.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05193.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05192.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05194.jpg[/img]

Inailum
Cool Member

soil wrote:my garlic thinks it wants to be done early this year, scapes are already coming up and yellowing has begun. still going to be a great harvest of 700+ garlic.
See I think mine wants to be done now too! I only planted 4 plants but they are not near as perky as everyone else shows in their pictures. Its my first real garden so I just decided to plant a little of everything. lol I'm wondering how much longer I should leave them in the ground. I dug down and took a peak and they bulbs are not that big.
[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/inailum/Garden/DSC03664.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I only planted 4 plants but they are not near as perky as everyone else shows in their pictures.
Looking at the picture, I think you planted 5. :lol: The back left plant, in the photo, looks like 2. They look good, I would wait.

Apple, Never really thought about it, but I think your right. Pale yellow streaks and then rust. :?

Dono, Your garlic looks good to me. Not sure how much nitrogen you should be applying. Will it give you all tops and small bulbs? I've been using a organic complete 6-4-4.

Eric

Inailum
Cool Member

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
I only planted 4 plants but they are not near as perky as everyone else shows in their pictures.
Looking at the picture, I think you planted 5. :lol: The back left plant, in the photo, looks like 2. They look good, I would wait.

Apple, Never really thought about it, but I think your right. Pale yellow streaks and then rust. :?

Dono, Your garlic looks good to me. Not sure how much nitrogen you should be applying. Will it give you all tops and small bulbs? I've been using a organic complete 6-4-4.

Eric
Naw, I only planted four. Those are green onions on the back left there. You had me thinking there for a minute. haha I think I should wait too. Thanks for your help! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Naw, I only planted four. Those are green onions on the back left there. You had me thinking there for a minute. haha I think I should wait too. Thanks for your help!
I see the large group of onions, but I also think I see double stems on two of your garlics. So know I see 6. :lol:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic.jpg[/img]

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Mine are yellowing on the tips as well, have been like that for a long time. But it's not going farther than that so I figured it was part of the process.

I think something may be stealing bulbs though. Squirrels?? I would doubt it but I was sure I had more than I do now. I should have counted. Guess next year I'll pay more attention.

Inailum
Cool Member

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Naw, I only planted four. Those are green onions on the back left there. You had me thinking there for a minute. haha I think I should wait too. Thanks for your help!
I see the large group of onions, but I also think I see double stems on two of your garlics. So know I see 6. :lol:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic.jpg[/img]

Eric
Holy cow you are correct Doubledog! As soon as I read your post I ran out side to check! So funny! :lol: Thank you! So now I have a question, should I try to split them so they have more room or should I just leave them be?

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What ae garlic scapes? Do onions have scapes?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:What ae garlic scapes? Do onions have scapes?
They are the flower/seed head stalk of hardneck garlic. They are highly prized in cooking while young. They curl up when young though straighten up when more mature. They are also more tender and better used for cooking when young thus more tender. A lot of people pick them to eat as well as concentrating more energy to bulb formation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”