WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

which type of squash/zuke for cool climate gardening thts?

I'm thinking of putting in a squash plant or zuke plant or two in a container in place of my pumpkins, which don't want to sprout (home dried seeds from purchased pumpkin) its the second go at it, and no sprouts, I'm going to purchase a plant or two of squash or zuke to put in the pot in it's place, any thoughts anyone on which variety?? I live in a cool climate zone, NE Ohio, and new to cool climate gardening, so not sure which type to try, as it will also be containered as well.....thoughts and input are appreciated!

bogydave

I plant "black beauty" zucs.
They do well here most years if we don't have a rainy year.
I have to pollenate the females, not many bees here.
Pollen from the male anther with a small soft paint brush, then brush it
on the female bloom stigma. If they don't get pollenated the females don't form into squash, just rot on the vine.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

yeah we've been getting drowned in rain here, I need to try something that wont mind the rain, but on the upside, I just found pumpkin seedlings that were uncovered by the rain dripping on the pot from our thunderstorm (again) last night, so I recovered them and ill water them again tonight, amazingly the pot is bone dry already, I may not be buying squash/zuke plants after all lol unless I decide to try potting it like the cantaloupes or pumpkins too....thanks for the fast reply!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok here's my new thought process on planting squash or zukes, I need to do some more research on this but I thought I would pose the q's here as well anyway.

if planted will certain breeds of squash/zukes, if left to fun wild, come back each year after if let to go to seed and reseed itself??

no idea if they're perrenial plants, like I said more research is due on this and I will be doing that after posing these q's here on the internet, but if they are perrenials, stands to reason that they would come back up next spring right?

have an empty space along my yard edge (field more like) that would be a good place for a few sprawling plants like squash or zukes, I'm thinking of planting a few plants in there and let them do what they please and if they produce oh well if they do great.............

thoughts and input anyone please and is welcome and appreciated!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok I did my research and everything says annual but they can reseed themselves and come back...I'm thinking of planting a winter and summer variety as squash plants are very prolific producers and one or two plants of each should be plenty for us, its just the two of us....thinking of butternut and straight neck yellow....thoughts??

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”