nosta

Squash Bugs

Squash bugs are out a little early this year(or so it seems to me). Found eggs on about half of my 30 plants yesterday. :evil:

Hope the vine borers stay away this year.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

nosta wrote:Squash bugs are out a little early this year(or so it seems to me). Found eggs on about half of my 30 plants yesterday. :evil:

Good luck with that. I just pulled the remainder of my zucchini and yellow crookneck squash due to SVB's. Each and every plant had at least 4-6 borers in them tearing up the stems. Production went way down and I pulled the weakest a couple weeks ago and let these continue since they had some squash trying to mature. I picked what I could today and removed the plants. I hate SVB's. They get me every year, so I plant early and get a fair crop before they attack.

TWC015

The squash bugs have been out in my area since I've planted my squash plants. I scraped off two areas of eggs a few minutes ago.

I keep a spray bottle of dawn detergent and water close to my squash plants so I can kill them when they come. So far I've killed 10-15 adults. As long as I keep them low enough to not have juveniles, I should be fine. The juveniles can kill plants in about a day.

The squash vine borers don't come here until around June. I've saved a few plants before by cutting the stem open and digging out the borers.

For winter squash, I mostly use C. moschata since squash bugs and vine borers leave this species alone. Even though I hate squash bugs, I find it amazing how quickly they can spot a C. pepo squash and all of them go to that plant.

nosta

gumbo2176 wrote:
nosta wrote:Squash bugs are out a little early this year(or so it seems to me). Found eggs on about half of my 30 plants yesterday. :evil:

Good luck with that. I just pulled the remainder of my zucchini and yellow crookneck squash due to SVB's. Each and every plant had at least 4-6 borers in them tearing up the stems. Production went way down and I pulled the weakest a couple weeks ago and let these continue since they had some squash trying to mature. I picked what I could today and removed the plants. I hate SVB's. They get me every year, so I plant early and get a fair crop before they attack.
I havent had a problem with the SVB's the past couple of years(knock wood). They used to get my Dad every year it seemed like, but usually we had already harvested a ton.

If there is a pest I really hate it would go hands down to the squirrels. They raided my tomatoes 3 years ago and seriously ate about 100 tomatoes in a 2-3 day period. I've tried everything from fox/coyote urine to red pepper to trap and release. They didnt get as many last year but still got more than I would have liked for them to.

Tate
Cool Member

nosta wrote:
gumbo2176 wrote:

I havent had a problem with the SVB's the past couple of years(knock wood). They used to get my Dad every year it seemed like, but usually we had already harvested a ton.

If there is a pest I really hate it would go hands down to the squirrels. They raided my tomatoes 3 years ago and seriously ate about 100 tomatoes in a 2-3 day period. I've tried everything from fox/coyote urine to red pepper to trap and release. They didnt get as many last year but still got more than I would have liked for them to.
Have you tried bird netting. I use it and it seems to keep the squirrels out as long as it is secured to the ground. I buy my netting at this site. They have the best value I have found and you can buy large quantities. I use 5' x 2' tomato cages made out of remesh. These cage from a perfect canopy to drap the netting over. Although at some point my plants usually grow through the top, but 95% of my tomatoes are protected. If you need to make seam to reach just use zip ties every 6 inches or so with about a 4 inch overlap of the netting.

https://www.amigoni.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=101&Category_Code=BN

Good luck!

Tate

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”