kierag

getting a fungus on my zucchini

I see the fungus is just starting and some of the leaves are turning yellow. Also I looked at one of the roots and it looks funny. I was watering with a sprinkler but I stopped about 2 weeks ago when you told me to water the rows because of the fungas that could grow. It is a raised bed with good sandy dirt soil. It has not rained in a few weeks but I have been watering about every 3 days. As needed. Please help. They are the most beautiful plants. What can I do. Someone told me to sprinkle with flour.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

kierag wrote:I see the fungus is just starting and some of the leaves are turning yellow. Also I looked at one of the roots and it looks funny. I was watering with a sprinkler but I stopped about 2 weeks ago when you told me to water the rows because of the fungas that could grow. It is a raised bed with good sandy dirt soil. It has not rained in a few weeks but I have been watering about every 3 days. As needed. Please help. They are the most beautiful plants. What can I do. Someone told me to sprinkle with flour.
You likely have a double dose going on there. Sounds like Powdery Mildew for the leaf discoloration and it also sounds like you have the dreaded Squash Vine Borers (SVB's for short). The borers will eventually kill the plants and stop them from producing many squash before they die out.

Tell-tale signs for borer infestation are elongated spots on the stems near the ground that have what looks to be sawdust like material around them. If you were to take a knife and cut along the hollow stem, you will eventually find a grub like critter in there eating up the plant from the inside out.

Some folks try this for Powdery Mildew. 1 tbsp. Baking Soda mixed with 1/2 tsp. liquid soap and a gallon of water. Spray late in the evening and test a small area first to see if it burns the leaves. If not, spray the plant and hope for the best. If you only have a few leaves involved, cut them away from the plant and discard in the trash before spraying. DO NOT put it in your compost pile.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”