Avonnow
Green Thumb

Issue with tomato plant. Help please

I have found this on a couple of my tomato plants, now I know I have seen this before in one of my books - but could I find that picture online or in the book, no. I am not sure if this is a fungus or a small insect - or both, I totally tore one plant out as it was incased and I was afraid it would spread. Any suggestions on what this might be :?: I want to treat it correctly and hate to keep tearing out plants. I hope you can tell from these photos. There does look like small little circular things in the webbing but I truly can't see well enough to know if they are moving or eggs or whatever. :? Thanks

[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF0662.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF0663.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

kimbledawn

I don't know what it is at this moment but don't tear out anymore plants. If the plant was healthy otherwise, leave it. I find webs like that around my garden and I suspect some type of mite , spidermite, or spider( just guessing here :) ) But I think it's a pest and not a fungus or something like that. Try spraying the plants with water in the afternoon to clear the webs and then maybe with a mild soap(not detergent) solution and see if that kills them. Then work your way up with the last resort being bt or neem. The leaves that you pictured looked healthy. Hope this helps!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

It looks like a spider web to me! I don't think you have any cause for worry, as I had similar on a few plants last year. No insects attacked them cause the spiders were around :D

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks, I took the one plant out as it was covered and I was freakin out - I have waited so long and all my plants (or at least 75%) are loaded with tomato's, I was afraid it would spread. Thanks I will try treating the others, they only have a branch here and there.

applestar
Mod

This really looks like red spider mites and not spider webs. I normally only see them on indoor plants, but maybe you get them on outdoor plants as well -- especially in Florida.

Iindicators are rapid loss of green coloration in leaves, starting with tiny white spots on the upper surface and minute red specks on the underside that can be tapped off onto white paper and smeared. Webbing in leaf nodes such as your photo indicate advanced infestation.

Treat similarly as aphids -- jet sprays of water every couple of days and soapy water sprays every few days for two or three weeks to break their life cycle. With larger plants, you can trim off the worst infested branches (usually branch tips) and dispose in trash.

Good luck.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree with Applestar. Red spider mite, not real spiders. These tiny critters will kill your plants, so treat them promptly. I also recommend a soap solution spray as treatment. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”