Inailum
Cool Member

SPierce wrote:As you mentioned at the end of your post, it may possibly be a space issue IMHO... I had my zucchinis in small pots, and went to move them to bigger ones since they started drooping- everything was pretty much root bound in the smaller pot I had them in. For the watermelons, I would recommend up potting them to their own pots immediately to see if it helps. As far as I can tell, they need a LOT of room to spread and won't really work well in containers due to how big their root systems get, and how far they spread. They may look small up top, but their roots are probably a lot bigger than they seem!

How much space do they have right now per plant? I saw you had them in a 20" pot. What's the drainage like in the pot? Were they grown under lights, or sunlight outdoors?

how often are you watering? How much sun are they getting? How often do you fertilize?
I tried cucumbers in a pot last year and I got one little frumpy guy and thats it.

OrganicTexasMama

Anita, I would love more pictures of the cucumbers with leaf damage. My zucchini is now exhibiting similar issues. :( Also, what plant food are you using? I have been using seaweed and fish emulsion, but that's all, so far. Never quite sure what's enough and what's too much. :/

I just sprayed it down with milk solution and am hoping that helps. The two plants were looking fabulous until today. Started with yellow veins on one of them, then by the time I got home, the veins were brown and the edge of one leaf was curled. But other leaves have the brown/black/gray spots that seem more like fungus.

Anyway, I do have one cucumber plant that's growing. And two or three watermelons. But then I mistook soil mites for aphids today and sprayed them down with soap solution in the heat of the day. Ugh! So they are, perhaps, a little sunburned now. Hoping they revive.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OrganicTexasMama wrote: But then I mistook soil mites for aphids today and sprayed them down with soap solution in the heat of the day. Ugh! So they are, perhaps, a little sunburned now. Hoping they revive.
Are you sure your soap solution is really soap? If it was dish "soap," it was probably detergent. Soap is organic, detergent is synthetic/chemical. The detergent is much more likely to burn your plants. For the future, use real soap (Dr. Brunners and other soap products).

OrganicTexasMama

rainbowgardener wrote:
OrganicTexasMama wrote: But then I mistook soil mites for aphids today and sprayed them down with soap solution in the heat of the day. Ugh! So they are, perhaps, a little sunburned now. Hoping they revive.
Are you sure your soap solution is really soap? If it was dish "soap," it was probably detergent. Soap is organic, detergent is synthetic/chemical. The detergent is much more likely to burn your plants. For the future, use real soap (Dr. Brunners and other soap products).
I used Dr. Bronners liquid soap mixed with water.

The veins on some leaves turned yellow, then brown. I'm hoping it's just sunburn from the ill-timed soap spray. :(

Though some of the zucchini have a gray spot on them that looks more fungal (though, really, what do I know?!). They were all sprayed, again, with milk solution.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”