Inailum
Cool Member

Lovin My Radishes

Happy Mother's Day to me! lol This is my third harvest and I have another almost ready. I'm gonna plant a couple more rows today! They came out so good and so spicy, I love em! :D

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/inailum/Garden/DSC03658.jpg[/img]

johnny123

Me too. I eat them like popcorn watching tv.
I have a friend who likes to put some slices in them and then fills them with butter.
Nice looking bunches you got there.
I put in a row every week in the spring until the middle of june and then start planting them again in late summer when the days get cooler.

jasbo

Go ahead. Rub it in. I have to run down to the grocery story and spill 79 cents to get my radish fix. Maybe in a week or two I'll get a harvest. My first planting just kind of sat there.

Jim

johnny123

.79 cents?
.59 cents here.
Someone made 20 cents. LOL

Inailum
Cool Member

johnny123 wrote:Me too. I eat them like popcorn watching tv.
I have a friend who likes to put some slices in them and then fills them with butter.
Nice looking bunches you got there.
I put in a row every week in the spring until the middle of june and then start planting them again in late summer when the days get cooler.
Ok the butter thing sounds kind of nasty, does he cook them or what? I'm like you, I eat them like popcorn when I watch tv. They are the best! I am trying to get as many in the ground now as I can before it gets too hot. The summers here are so hot and miserable (90-100's), I have to water 2 - 3 times a day! So I'm thinking I should wait until August to replant. This is my very first real garden (have only done pots before) and if I would have known these would have so easy to grow I would have planted them along time ago!

Inailum
Cool Member

jasbo wrote:Go ahead. Rub it in. I have to run down to the grocery story and spill 79 cents to get my radish fix. Maybe in a week or two I'll get a harvest. My first planting just kind of sat there.

Jim
That sux! I hope your next crop does well and you will get some good eats soon, for FREE! You said I was rubbing it in, I think Johnny "one upped" me with his .59 cents! lol :lol: Good luck to hun.

johnny123

No, he eats them raw with butter.
He puts 2 slices into the radish and fills them with butter.
I have never tried it.

As far as the 59 cent radishes go I didn't buy them I just keep an eye on prices when I'm at the produce market.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh WOW! Mine just barely came up.

Inailum
Cool Member

jal_ut wrote:Oh WOW! Mine just barely came up.
I planted a little early, around the first of April. They were the first things in my garden to come up and have gone crazy. I'm in heaven! I also planted sugar peas for the first time and those things are like 2 feet tall! I can not wait to see a pod, I eat them raw. lol

Inailum
Cool Member

johnny123 wrote:No, he eats them raw with butter.
He puts 2 slices into the radish and fills them with butter.
I have never tried it.

As far as the 59 cent radishes go I didn't buy them I just keep an eye on prices when I'm at the produce market.
Man, I love butter more than most people, to the point when I add extra to a dish I call it "love" but I just don't think I can hang with that. lol I have no idea what the radishes are around here now, I haven't looked for a couple months BUT I do have to go to the store tomorrow so I will most definitely check. I'm on a mission....... :P

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I like radishes fried, like you would use potatoes to make hash browns. YUM!

There's a discussion about ways to use radishes [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21681]here[/url], in our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45]Recipes - Canning- Preserving[/url] forum. :)

DeborahL
Green Thumb

A surprisingly good sandwich is sliced radish on buttered dark bread.
Every time I enjoy radishes I have to have industrial strength Tums for dessert... :(

Inailum
Cool Member

Kisal wrote:I like radishes fried, like you would use potatoes to make hash browns. YUM!

There's a discussion about ways to use radishes [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21681]here[/url], in our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45]Recipes - Canning- Preserving[/url] forum. :)
OH! Very interesting idea, a must try for me! Thanks Kisal! :D

Inailum
Cool Member

DeborahL wrote:A surprisingly good sandwich is sliced radish on buttered dark bread.
Every time I enjoy radishes I have to have industrial strength Tums for dessert... :(
Oh that sucks, hard to enjoy when you know whats coming ahead :( Ive been really shocked, I can sit down and eat radishes 20 at a time but the ones I harvested are so much hotter then the ones I used to buy in the store so I can't as many now. lol

applestar
Mod

There's a book called A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle. I'm pretty sure that's where I first came across the concept of eating garden fresh radishes with "good" butter and sprinkled with salt. So perhaps it's a French thing. I've tried it, but found it difficult to get the butter to stick to the juicy surface of freshly cut radish.... :? It works better for me with really good EV olive oil and a drop or two or balsamic vinegar. :D

It's a great novel though. Really inspires you to garden and cook and eat really yummy food! :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a great harvest! I never got any radishes in this year because it was raining so much. I'll have to try for a fall crop.

johnny123

Applestar, You have to slice the radish and stuff it with butter.
This is how the pros do it. LOL

[img]https://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb436/Jim3501/cid__0510111128.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”