Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Meet the garden pest that is addicted to my garden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beet_armyworm

For 2.5 years now this pest has been a constant threat to the garden. I was doing my daily garden stroll around sunset yesterday and noticed tiny holes in a lot of leaves. I flipped them over and found the next generation of pests that drive me nuts. They were tiny worms and I must have killed 300 of them. It's like 20 moths laid there eggs on the same plant at the same time.

Had I not noticed the soon to be infestation, I would have lost a very productive tomato plant. I broke down and had to use Sevin b/c they was everywhere.

End rant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I guess there are some down sides to living in a warm climate! I had never heard of it...

I looked it up-- If you were trying to avoid the Sevin, they are susceptible to Bt.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

they are susceptible to Bt

Where do I get that?

JennieMig
Cool Member

I have been semi successful with pyrethrum. I have something that looks very similar to the pictured insect but don't know if it is the same one. I spray late in the evening, and by morning there are dozens of these little catterpillars out in the open on the soil and top side of the leaves. Then I hand pick, and squish.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

JennieMig wrote:I have been semi successful with pyrethrum. I have something that looks very similar to the pictured insect but don't know if it is the same one. I spray late in the evening, and by morning there are dozens of these little catterpillars out in the open on the soil and top side of the leaves. Then I hand pick, and squish.
These caterpillars start out tiny and then grow to about an inch and a half in length and wreak havic if left alone. Also they have red heads.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'm glad you posted this because I had forgotten that I had a problem with army worms on my kale last year. I was thinking that it was cabbage worms. That might be what is eating holes in my turnips, but I can't find any. Picking and squishing daily was my method, but I have a small garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:
they are susceptible to Bt

Where do I get that?
In any garden store. It is sold as Thuricide and other names. It is a bacterial infection that only affects certain kinds of caterpillars and is totally harmless to the rest of the environment. Bt = Bacillus Thuringiensis.

imafan26
Mod

Bt is also sold as dipel. Most agricultural suppliers carry it. It keeps for a while as long as it is stored properly. If you cannot find it locally you can get it online.

Make sure you get the Bt species for caterpillars. Bayer sells a Bt product at Home depot, but it is for mosquitos.

Safer makes a product called Garden Dust, it comes in an 8 oz container that contains Bt for caterpillars. Make sure you read the label. My local home depot does not carry it but it is available online at home depot.com. However, this is a small container and while it would be o.k. for a few plants, if you have a lot, it would be better to get a larger quantity.

https://www.amazon.com/DIPEL-PRO-Biologi ... B005DFFIDG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”