Rogue11

Another pepper question

I have noticed that my peppers produce a lot of flowers but only a few fruits at a time. Once 2 or 3 peppers are growing the other flowers will keep developing until they become tiny fruits and then within 2-3 days after loosing their flowers those fruits will die and fall off the bush.
Is that normal?
If I remember correctly it was pretty much the same last year. Although at one point I had 5 Big Daddies growing. But that was late in the season.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

That happens to me too. I just had to pick a smaller pepper off the plant because the stem area of the fruit was rotten. The larger pepper below it is much larger and still doing nicely.....knock on wood.

Spicy Chicken

Peppers are self pollinating as you probably know, bud drop is caused by over watering, wet feet, too much nitro and not enough calcium or potassium, give them a dose of bone meal or calmag and then lay off the water until you see the plant start to droop a little. I think you should see a difference within a week or so.
For what it's worth! SC

Rogue11

thanks Spicy Chicken

Rogue11

Just an update.
Taking Spicy Chicken's advice I added bone meal to all of my pepper plants and adjusted the irrigation system. I started to see results quickly, and a month later my bell peppers have each 7-8 fruits growing with more blossoms forming, and my hoy peppers are just full of fruits (stopped counting at 20).
Thanks again.

slyguy

nice. feels good for something to actually work out doesnt it :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”