Rogue11

Purple Beauty Pepper?

This year I bought seeds for three sweet bell peppers, Golden Bell, Chocolate Beauty and Purple Beauty. Got some nice plants out of them but I am starting to scratch my head about my Purple Beauty.
While the growing fruits of the other two show all the characteristics of a bell pepper (broad and rounded) the Purple one is producing fruits that look long and slender (see picture)
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/Bailey1048/May003.jpg[/img]

I guess my question is has anyone ever seen a Purple Beauty looking like this, or could it be that I got the wrong seeds in my pack?

I was really excited about using those peppers for colorful salads, but I guess it would be too late to buy new seeds and start over now.

Spicy Chicken

That is definitely not a PB, maybe Hungarian Wax, sweet Banana or hot banana, something of that nature!
Seeds are commonly mixed; I bought 60 bhuts last year and turned out to be zavory’s. Not uncommon!
Bummer on the salad thing, but if they are sweet banana’s they will be excellent on salads anyways; most will turn orange or red given enough time.
SC

Rogue11

Spicy Chicken wrote:That is definitely not a PB, maybe Hungarian Wax, sweet Banana or hot banana, something of that nature!
SC
I have a Hungarian Wax pepper too and the fruits on that plant look a little more yellowish and not as slim.

Spicy Chicken

do you have any sweet banana's to compare them to?

It's a little hard to tell how big the pepper is from the picture.

Being over 4000 veriaties of peppers exact identification is allmost imposible, But they look in that family to me.

Take a bite, and see if its hot. LOL

Rogue11

don't have any banana peppers for comparing, only seen pictures of them. The larger of the peppers in the picture is about 4 inches long now

Spicy Chicken

That fits the bill. let us know what progresses in the future, and your best guess! Cheers SC

pepper4
Green Thumb

Like the others said definately not purple beauties but whatever they are u can always use in a salad 8)
Bambi

Rogue11

Oh I am not worried about not being able to use them, after all I cook for a living. It's just that I had been wanting to grow peppers in colors that I can't pick up at the farm where I do most of my fruits and vegetable shopping.
Purple peppers just don't seem to like me :lol: Last year I tried Pinot Noir, loved the color they started out with, but unfortunately by the time they were big enough to pick they had turned red.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”