Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

My green bell peppers and some rainbow peppers (they're supposed to be a bunch of different colors on the peppers).

.....and they sure are taking their time to grow.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm looking forward to eating the first muskmelons (storebought can't compare), and in the endgame, of harvesting big@** weirdo looking Pennsylvania longneck pumpkin/squash.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:My green bell peppers and some rainbow peppers (they're supposed to be a bunch of different colors on the peppers).

.....and they sure are taking their time to grow.
I've grown the rainbow bells before, but I was kind of disappointed in them. For me they always turned out pretty small and thin walled and most of them were purple with only a few of the other colors. You would have to grow a lot more pepper plants than I had room for to really get a rainbow! But you are in a very different climate, maybe your experience will be different (and I haven't tried them for a few years).

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Kind of fun seeing how the word "tomatoes" comes up so often in this thread. :wink:

Well, usually a 2nd choice would be peppers but I'm not trying anything new this year except a bell and it is just filling a gap in the line-up. I'd like to say charentais melon but the replacement for Honey Girl last year was a swing & a miss. There is no real reason to think that I've hit it with the new choice.

I don't want to say that leaves soybeans because you guys might think I'm weird or something :roll: . Hey, I'd never eaten edamame until I began raising soybeans in 'o9! I don't consider tofu very flavorful altho' it is kind of a kick knowing how to make it. But, I thought edamame was just a real tasty and fun food!

Okay, I'll go back over here on the group W bench where I belong.

steve

Rogue11

digitS' wrote: I don't consider tofu very flavorful altho' it is kind of a kick knowing how to make it. But, I thought edamame was just a real tasty and fun food!
steve
Tofu itself doesn't have much flavor at all, but the fun thing is that it soaks up the flavor of whatever it is combined with, which makes it easy to use it in savory or sweet dishes.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'm hoping to get pomegranates. My dwarf tree is covered in blooms.
Steve, Group W Bench as in Alice's Restaurant?

Inailum
Cool Member

Geeez, I cant decide between cucumbers or sweet peas. I kind of think I'm leaning more towards the sweet peas though. I just love to eat them raw!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Deborah, somewhere they've got my fingerprints.

No doubt, is soy-based ink.

Steve

csvd87

looking forward to everything, but mostly peppers, I have all sorts of shapes and sizes and heats and colours. First ripe pepper of the year is coming from an overwintered eBay "Long Slim Cayenne" but there is nothing long about it. maybe 4 inches. I had to pluck a few immature peppers from other plants, so I threw them in with some scrambled eggs, dee-lish.

I am also looking forward to the eggplants and pepino... and other nightshades :)

Lunacy
Cool Member

I'm growing shallots for the fist time, I always loved the taste of them. I planted some bulbs from home depot and they took off immediately! Can't wait, I so want to eat some.
Last edited by Lunacy on Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Caribbean Reds. Can't wait!

nosta

Okra

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Steve, LOL !

Nick D

jal_ut wrote:Fresh corn on the cob.

Yes!

Also, habaneros and bright lights chard; first time growing either of them. Oh...and my Atlantic Giant pumpkin seed. REALLY curious about that one.

rkunsaw

Just had my first batch yesterday....Strawberries :!: Mashed some and put on top of some homemade vanilla ice cream.Mmmmmm :D
Larry

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Without a doubt tomatoes! I look forward to the first lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, etc. but with tomatoes, every year, I miss them almost immediately as soon as the last batch is eaten in the late fall and eagerly anticipate the arrival of the first trickle in the spring. We are a little late this year, but with luck will pick our first tomato in the next ten days to two weeks.

So far we have been harvesting lettuce, arugula, sweet peas, radishes, and various herbs. Just started harvesting zucchini this week and the first cucumbers should be large enough to pick in a couple of days. Strawberries have been coming in for a couple of weeks, already past peak, but raspberries and blueberries are now starting to ripen. What a pleasure! But for me the anticipation of those garden treats pales in comparison to my desire to pick that first tomato.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

PEPPERS and ONIONS!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Pumpkins! Last year I planted a whole field (30 plants!) and had about 60 pumpkins by Halloween. We invited all my son's friends over for a "pick and paint" party. It was terrific fun, especially for lots of the suburbanite larvae who have never seen anything growing out of the ground before.

It was also my first time growing anything, so it was a real learning experience and adventure of the highest order. In the words of the fictional John Hammond from Jurassic Park, "The next time, it'll be flawless!"

ameliat

Green beans this year. I also planted some blueberry bushes and despite my eagerness to pick berries, I did decide to prune off the flowers/fruit (I was late deciding :oops: ) so the bushes can establish root growth - guess I will do that again next year and finally pick berries in 2013!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

For veggies I'd have to say PEAS. I'm drooling just thinking about the sweet juicy sugar snaps. And FRESH stur fry with snow peas. Oh dear, is it July yet??? My little guy is impatiently waiting for "bean beans". He LOVES green beans and I swear I have to plant like a whole extra row just to make up for what he eats while we're out there!
And berries. Sweet yummy berries plain, in cereal, in muffins, in shakes....... yep, can't wait!
I'm soooooooo jealous of you guys down south already enjoying these things!
At least this year I can plant enough to last through the winter!

Tate
Cool Member

My first year to grow corn so I would have to say corn. Second to that would be the pole lima beans I am trying also for the first time. So far these vines are taking off!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

My first year to grow the onion family - leeks, onion and shallots from seed. I've put a lot into them so maybe they are what I am looking forward to the most - maybe. Success is a good thing.

I can't name just one thing so I would have to say eggplants (3 new varieties) and peppers as well. And then I am growing broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts for the first time. And mini melons along with 2 new varieties of cucumbers.

Having five new raised beds to work with, I am looking forward to everything that comes out of the garden.

I do wish I had room for corn.

Tate
Cool Member

gardenvt wrote:My first year to grow the onion family - leeks, onion and shallots from seed. I've put a lot into them so maybe they are what I am looking forward to the most - maybe. Success is a good thing.

I can't name just one thing so I would have to say eggplants (3 new varieties) and peppers as well. And then I am growing broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts for the first time. And mini melons along with 2 new varieties of cucumbers.

Having five new raised beds to work with, I am looking forward to everything that comes out of the garden.

I do wish I had room for corn.
I didn't think I had room for corn, but you don't need as much as you think. I have a 5 x 10 raised bed with 1 stalk per square foot or 50 stalks. So far my corn looks great and is starting to tassel. The bed needs to be WELL fertilized and amended with high nitrogen fertilizer. I used feather meal (12-0-0) to side dress my corn. I will probably need to assist with some hand pollination to make sure I get good ears, but it should work. I have seen other people do it. That is how I got inspired to try. My total garden is about 800 square feet so if my 5 x 10 works I will probably try more next year.

ButterflyGarden

Basil!! I can't wait for lots of basil. We eat it so much and growing my own saves so much money.

Also, my chili peppers. (I'll put them with the tomatoes that we are not mentioning to make salsa.)

I already harvested my garlic and it was great.

jasbo

Got to be green beans, but for me it's the purple green beans, if that makes any sense. Royal Burgundy. I like the idea I'll be able to find them easier among all the green leaves. Last year, with green green beans, I was never quite sure I got all the ones that were ready.

Jim

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL first I have to laugh at the comment made.....

"That's more than one. Now go sit in the corner for 20 min."

I gotta say it's my cantaloupe's! pet project of mine for sure! can't wait to see if they produce!

applestar
Mod

Gixx knows me well. :wink: :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Dixana, I LOVE that your little boy looks forward to eating green beans.
I feel happy watching kids eat healthy.

jordanleereynols

Pole Beans!!!!

gardenbean

My peas of course! than probably my tomatos along with my bush beans!!

SarahSarah
Cool Member

Black cherry and purple cherokee tomatoes!!! Can't wait!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

SarahSarah wrote:Black cherry and purple cherokee tomatoes!!! Can't wait!!
My black cherry tomatoes came up beautifully! I have about 5 dozn of them . They are about a foot high now and I have some in 4 inch pots! I have so many plants I like to watch grow but tomatoes are still my favorites because of all the varities and difference in taste!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”