gardenvt
Green Thumb

For Better or Worse - it's done

Finally! A day without rain/ sleet/snow or high winds - and I put in all of the onion family. I have been trying for two weeks to get them in. They are all very healthy and the shallots and onions have nice bulbing.

The leeks are tall and strong. I stopped trimming them when I put them in the mini greenhouse so I had something to hold on to when I planted them. I had intended to use the dibble method but it was a bit trying as I had them in individual cells (98 plug flat). I ended up digging the holes for these and then sprinkling a bit of dirt down into the holes.

The onions and shallots were easy - easier. It all took time and, thankfully, it was a cloudy, 65 degrees and not much wind. I played around with the spacing for the shallots to see if they would do more than create a single shallot. So, some went in with 3" spacing and some at 6". I hope they all do really well.

I have never grown any of the onion family before. I love leeks and shallots and the onion - Long Red of Tropea - was one we had purchased at one of our local farm stands. It is a really nice Italian heirloom. Next year, I want to try Copra and Red Wing for storage - and Ailsa Craig for interest.

I know it is a bit late for planting these guys out but not too late for sure. The Musselburgh leeks will be there well into December so they will have a lot of time to get really huge - I hope.

So, the next lesson in this effort will be prepping for storage. Drying the onions and shallots.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

This year is my first time in years that I have planted onions. I hope it's better than the past, golfball sized onions that put teargas to shame! :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck they should do fine it's not super late, though I'm not sure where you are at.

I planted mine a while back even though it was too wet but they are doing great now and glad I did. Sometimes you just have to take a risk. That is gardening. :wink:

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm in Vermont and it has been quite cool and wicked wet. I was grateful for the chance to get them planted out.

I think of gardening as both a way to have fresh food that is as close to organic as I can get it and a hobby. I'm trying lots of new things this year and I am sure I will learn a lot.

The area where the garden is gets lots of sun so the onions should do well. The roots were amazing and I didn't have to disturb them so I hope that helps. They look great this morning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”