gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

do radishes always poke out of the ground when growing?

I have radishes here and there some actually planted others just scattered. But they all poking out of the ground, the actually radish that is. Is this normal? I don't have too much experience with them. Though I think it to be normal cause they did the same thing last year.

One more thing how do you know when they are ready to pick, can you just pick them whenever. I seen to remember they are best picked early so they don't get all woody on you. I could be wrong.

Thanks

nosta

This is normal. I like to pick mine when they are about an inch to inch and a half in diamenter. You can look at the part of the radish exposed and get a rough estimate of how big it is. If nothing is showing you can GENTLY move the soil away from the tops to see how it is progressing. Just be sure to cover it back up if not to your liking.

here are a couple of pics of some I picked last month

[img]https://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/nosta2/garden2011014.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/nosta2/garden2011012.jpg[/img]

the icicle ones didnt get quite as big as I wanted but were really tasty.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Gixxerifik, My radish always have their shoulders peeking out of the dirt.

Hope this helps.

Personally I think you are doomed to a lifetime of fiddling ina garden. :P

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

in my experience, the radishes have a sweeter or spicier taste depending on how big you let them get....just can't remember if younger equals sweeter or spicier. :?

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

those a great looking radishes! I actually planted both types u showed pics of as well...mine are coming along very nicely, they are loving all this rain we're getting too here in ohio....and yes radishes will always in the least show they're shoulders when growing and in some cases may completely grow above ground :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Oh and btw radish tops are edible greens also fyi :) they're a great all around veggie like beets and kohlerabi, greens on them are edible too as well as carrots :)

edreed20

I cant seem to get my radishes right, I'm only getting 40% of them to form a bulb, the other 60% are just long roots. :?

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ive heard many times along the way its caused by a soil problem, if the soil is not to their liking the bulbs will not form properly, but the roots can still be tasty :)

ButterflyGarden

Mine don't peek out. Could it be because I grow them in a container?

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I don't know about that, but it might be they're too deep? I'm guessing here on that one, someone else will prob have a better answer for u I'm sorry

tedly
Cool Member

I think there is a relation between how much water they get and how hot they will be. I don't do a lot of supplemental watering on most of my veggies. I've found that they may not grow as big, but the flavor is more intense that way. We had a dry spell last year and my radishes were so hot they would burn your tongue, like jalapeno hot. I'm giving them plenty of water this year, so I guess I'll find out in a bit.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

yes the more water they get the sweeter they will be but u have to make sure u don't overwater as well

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”