JimLee70
Newly Registered

Coffee grounds useful?

I was told years ago that used coffee grounds are useful. Is that a true statement that they are and does that work on planting new vegatables or just flowers?
Last edited by JimLee70 on Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes I throw all of mine in the garden. You can even get some from places like Starbucks or gas stations if you ask.

I was actually jut out there picking my filters. I toss them from the house to the garden than periodically pick up the filters for the compost pile.

They are a good source of nitrogen.

Halfway
Green Thumb

They work really well in accelerating your compost too!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have no information to back this up, but have been told they maybe helpful against wire worms. My grounds and old coffee are being added to the potato raised rows.

Eric

Canoe

I just read a thread here that may help you a lot with the coffee info.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10123

It is long but informative :shock:

canoe

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I have no information to back this up, but have been told they maybe helpful against wire worms. My grounds and old coffee are being added to the potato raised rows.

Eric
I have heard this too. Thanks for reminding me I am about to put potatoes in. It seems they work for carrots and parsnips etc as well.

I have no information to back this up
Don't worry DDF I got your back, here is a link I found and there are plenty more on this topic. :wink:

https://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/component/content/article/64-garden-how-to/154-creating-the-wire-worm-free-garden.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”