tedln wrote:Interesting information but my garden is pretty simple. I only have vegetables which we and our friends and family will consume. The interesting part of the toxicity of garden vegetables is some are toxic to my dog, but not to me. If onions were toxic to me, I would have been dead long ago.
Living in the country as opposed to a manicured residential sub division; our pets are exposed to many toxic or dangerous substances such as Poison Ivy and Poison Oak and other harmful plants as well as venomous snakes.
I am a little surprised with all the information furnished about toxic plants, no one mentioned Castor Bean plants. Many people grow them for decorative purposes and the beans are very attractive and potentially harmful to children.
Responding in order to these concerns:
1) Dogs developed from wolves and other Canidae, who were hunters and scavengers. If a food was part of a prey animal's diet or was a normal part of the leavings that the canids scavenged, there was no survival value in having a strong toxicity reaction to it. This is my theory of why so few fruits, vegetables, and grains are toxic to dogs
. All of us came up with only a few items in these categories. The dangers of grapes and their dried version, the raisin, were discovered only within the last 10 or so years, and the active factor isn't yet isolated. Dogs have munched on apples ever since we domesticated both dogs and apple trees, I suspect, but the number of apple seeds
a dog will eat is naturally limited by the bulk of the apple surrounding them. Macadamia nuts are native to Hawaii; no canids encountered macadamia nuts until the 19th century, hardly enough time to evolve immunity to them.
Interestingly, cultivated mushrooms after cooking
are safe for dogs to eat. But all wild ones must be treated as deadly. Mushrooms are found everywhere and are still evolving. Even as I write this, the [url=https://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/your-dogs-health/death-cap-mushrooms.html]Death Cap mushroom[/url] (Amanita phalloides
) has expanded its range in California, changed its odor to that of dead fish--very attractive to dogs!--and decided to grow under pine trees in dry conditions up to 6,000 ft. as well as its traditional habitat: under oak trees in wet conditions under 1,000 ft.
Treat all wild mushrooms as if they are Death Caps, esp. where dogs are concerned--children can be told "no" for the critical few seconds it will take you to pick the mushrooms, but dogs are very fast.
2) I know from multiple, painful personal experiences that dogs do NOT react to poison oak or poison ivy. They can carry the urushiol on their coat back to their people, though, and the people will break out, sometimes without even knowing they've been exposed until their entire body is involved.... Your concern about snakes is well-founded, esp. in light of what happened the other day!
3) True enough about Castor Bean plants, but with castor bean oil having been on the market for so many years in the past (I don't know whether it's still available), it doesn't strike everyone immediately as toxic. And, again, with children you can put them in a playpen if they're young enough, or--with a truly impetuous toddler--find other means of restricting his/her wandering or your own activities outdoors if you (a parent) do not feel the child will be safe in your yard otherwise. (Says the aunt, who did do some baby-sitting of niece/nephews at the relevant ages.)
With regard to the ASPCA's list of toxic plants, in some cases it overstates the situation, and in others it doesn't state the toxicity emphatically enough, IMHO. Anything that might provide a warning sensation in the mouth (e.g., a hot pepper's warm/hot sensation in people) is listed as "toxic," even though the animal might not fall ill from it. But chocolate is listed like any other item, and it takes very little to elicit a reaction.
remembering also Donato...