jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Weather looking better....

Yesterday in the morning, sunny. I tilled a couple plots for other gardeners, then came home and planted a couple rows of seeds. Then it rained. This morning sunny again. I have another plot to till, then will see what the weather is like. I have a couple more plots to till, but the soil type is kinda heavy and they are too damp to till just yet.

May 5 is my day to plant corn. It has been so cool this year, I wonder if I can get away with planting by the calendar? I guess It won't hurt to try?

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Wouldn't rain scatter the seed? If so, how do you get straight rows of plants?
Be kind, I'm only a container gardener ! :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck James. :D Planting by the calendar this year is a wasted thought. You know what will work.

I wish I could give you some heat cause it looks like we are going from a frost to the near 90's again just like every year. Things are gonna pop here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It actually warmed up today. I did plant corn and squash.

Deborah, I use a string to get straight rows. The seed is covered about half inch to an inch. I have not had rain move it.

bogydave

Lucky you. I'm hoping to get the garden planted by the end of the month.
I only dream of sweet corn here. Pretty much everything else as a typical garden does well.
I got squash in pots in the GH sprouting with several other starts. We gotta get a jump so almost everything is starts here. Ground still froze down about 6" but warmer long days now.
Good luck with the corn, if the soil is too cold for the corn seeds & they don't sprout, you'll have time to replant won't you. Been so long since I planted corn I don't remember if the seed will rot if it don't sprout in a reasonable time. ("knee high by the 4th of July" I think that's the corn rule of thumb :) )
Last week of May or 1st week of June is our normal planting time.

Nice of you to help other gardeners. I'm picturing a troybilt tiller?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This year we have had some crazy weather rain every day and it has been 40 degrees every morning for the past few days. I am not going to worry about one year I did not plant until about June 25 the garden did fine. I did not get to plant 2 crops of beans that year and all the crops were ready to harvest in Late August instead of the first week of July. I usually have my tomatoes planted by mid April.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I do have a Troybilt Horse Tiller, but here is the tiller I do the big jobs with.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/johndeeretill.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I will make some succession plantings of corn. I can plant as late as the third week of June and get corn.

Funny that I have trouble getting any tomatoes to ripen here. I can plant 72 day tomatoes and they won't be ripe in 95 days and I end up ripening them under covers in late September.

bogydave

jal_ut wrote:
I do have a Troybilt Horse Tiller, but here is the tiller I do the big jobs with.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/johndeeretill.jpg[/img]
WOW
CHEATER!!!! :)
That is nice. I was picturing a red rotor-tiller but no hooked to a yellow/green million HP prime mover. Very nice.
"Tilling a plot of land" is tilling acres. Now I get it. ;)

Sound like you may need a Green house for your tomatoes. Just a few more degrees temperature at night to get ripe tomatoes.
I never realized that at high elevations had similar growing issues as we do close to sea level in Alaska.

Great picture
Last edited by bogydave on Mon May 09, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks, James.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The header of this thread was about better weather. Now we are looking at three days of rain. Oh well, my seed is getting watered. Now if they don't rot.

Our rivers are swollen and may cause some problems in spots. Lots of snow in the mountains and now it rains on top of that. Look out below.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

James, thanks for the fabulous pictures sent to my inbox ! I didn't see a Reply Button, so here I am in here. :)

BP

Here in Michigan we have had a lot of rain also. Lows at night are getting better(mid 40's). I've been tilling a new garden inbetween rains. I like your tractor, I've been using a 70's model front tine ariens lol.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

wow nice tractor lol...my fiance makes fun of me bec I wont let him on our lawn tractor anymore (we have about 2 acres to mow) I'm a tom girl with toys lol and I love playing in the dirt as he says....but I thought I would share pics of my efforts with e1, public album link to my fb page...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.186527624728457.44164.100001136622200&l=1c681f46e6

you cant see many of my seedlings but theyre doing well for now...oh and I have tried the flour with pepper mix and aside from tester nibbles I have been keeping the bugs and animals off my plants (yay!, but I did use amix of cayenne and black pepper, heavy on both)

jal, you can see what I did to keep my chippy munk girl out in there too as well...so far its worked!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jal, we had a record cold April here . . . So far, the warmest afternoon has been all of 63°F!

Nothing is tragically behind in the usual scheme of things. I have to count on a warm June. The lack of light in the greenhouse for the tomatoes etc. has been the biggest problem. S t r e t c h I n g . . .

I grow mostly cherry tomatoes. Sungold ripens early (some have flowers now but those will be removed at transplanting into the garden). Bloody Butcher is a really early tomato with plenty of flavor. For a slicer, the climate been able to ripen Big Beef for many years.

I once gardened at several hundred feet higher elevation and several decades ago. The only tomato that seemed to ripen for me was Sub Arctic. (The sweet corn that I grew was Polar Vee. So, you see what I was up against :roll: .) We didn't have all these choices of varieties back then. I was there when Early Girl came out and wondered if it would work for me. Probably would have but I moved to a lower elevation. That took some of the pressure off.

The wide 24-hour temperature swings is part of what makes higher-altitude growing difficult. Here, overcast skies in the early season can . . . drive a gardener around the bend! Always something, no matter where we might find ourselves, I suppose.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

WinglessAngel
I looked at your facebook pictorial. You have a great garden. I can see you like to grow things. Nice going!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

The nights are still a bit cold here, but I'm estatic at the progress my little seedlings are making- and I hope to get them in the ground by next sunday! weather has gotten a lot better, some crazy downpours here and there- but mostly sun and warmth :D

soil
Greener Thumb

I planted my corn about a week ago, planting the second batch today if I get around to it. I cant wait for it to be ready!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I will just have to be patient and wait for some warm weather. Nothing is growing here yet.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thanks jal! I'm trying, it's all an experiment anyway, seeing as it's my first cool climate garden lol, hope e1's doing well and yes I do love to play in the dirt LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”