zeynepercan
Newly Registered

Please Help

Hi everybody,I am new at gardening and I need some advice about fall or winter vegetable garden.I am living in illinois -USA and It is at zone 5 .What kinds of vegetable should I plant ? Should I plant them from seeds or get preplanted?

Pumpkins
Newly Registered

Are you going to grow in a greenhouse or outside?

zeynepercan
Newly Registered

Hi Pumpkin.T
hank you for your interest. I have a little backyard.I want to plant there.My mother in law told me that If I seeded or planted these days they would be frozan during the winter.I recently moved here from another country.I just know here is in zone 5. what about fresh mint,basil,parsley,parsnip?Should I wait until spring for every fruit and veggies? Thanks :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

From my experience, basil only does well in a greenhouse. Mint will grow wherever you plant it and it will take over so, you have to watch that. Be very careful with mint because it will even take over your lawn.

Parsley does well in the cold but, I wouldn't plant it until the spring, you can start all of these herbs indoors during the winter and transplant them in the spring.

Parsley is best planted in the ground, in the spring in nice sandy soil so that the roots have a chance to grow nice and long.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”