lilcee

What's this on my squash?

I planted Acorn squash for the first time this year. Doing good for the most part but I noticed some of the leaves are turning brown around the edges. Is this some kind of disease? I don't want it to spread to my other squash.

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1439.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1440.jpg[/img]

johnny123

Many things can cause a leaf to look like that.
One is downy mildew infection in it's early stage.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I get this on mine too....although for some reason it seems to mostly effect my pumpkins more than other squash. When the leaves get pretty bad I pull them off and get them out of the garden. It slowly gets the best of the plant, but usually not before I get my pumpkins.

Hmmm, I wonder if my pumpkins would be much bigger if I sought to actually control it or get rid of it...the world may never know.

johnny123

Apply a fungicide of your choice.

lilcee

Thanks all

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely powdery mildew. I was guessing that from the title of your post on the index page before I even looked, because squashes are quite prone to it.

To start with try to alleviate the conditions for it... powdery mildew likes shady, moist, humid conditions. So you want your plants to be in full sun and don't water the leaves, just the soil.

To treat it you can spray with milk solution (Dilute milk 1:2 or so with water, add a spoonful of yoghurt with active cultures and let stand at room temps for a few hours) or with a baking soda solution.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”