donworden
Cool Member

Finally working outside!!

After months of very strange weather here in Michigan, I am able to go out and start working my soil..... Had I tried earlier, I would have ended up with a muddy mess. I know tis a bit late for the season, but I am just gonna bite the bullet and get things going.

Am trying a new variety of tomatoes, onions x2 and lots of other nice and new plants. Over the years I have had extreme luck with my green and wax beans... I am looking forward to a very large harvest of them.... 5 packets of each... and I so love the fact that I am harvesting them pretty much all summer.

I got surprised the other day... My daughter last year sent home with me a single sickly everbearing strawberry plant... I planted it and nursed it, and protected it, and got a whopping 10 fruit off of it last year, but didnt really protect it for the winter.... went out and checked it about 3 days ago, and much to my surprise, there were 9 babies around it... so when I plant the 10 new plants I will have a total of 20... gotta love it. Personally I really don't care for strawberries, but the darling wife and one of my daughters go thru about 100 dollars of berries a year.. soon hopefully it will be 0 dollars.

More to come later.

ameliat

It always feels good to get outside esp. after funky weather! What a nice strawberry surprise! What kind of tomatoes are you growing?

donworden
Cool Member

First I am growing 10 of my old standby which are very prolific for me, the early girl... the new toms I am trying are the Tiny Tim, Jubilee, Yellow Pear, and the Boy oh Boy hybrid... Another new vegetable for me is the spaghetti squash.. Mother talked me into tasting it, and since about 5 % of the seed in the squash had germinated inside it, I know they will grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”