jasbo

Kids can grow radishes; why not me?

My head is hung in shame as I write this. Here's why: I may be the first person on the planet to fail at growing radishes. I planted them 6 weeks ago in containers outside in fresh potting soil along with some super-short carrots. They came up pretty much right on schedule, despite nighttime temps occasionally around freezing, but they simply haven't developed much. Most have some true leaves, but none are getting even pencil-thick.

Could it be too much or not enough water? I've tried to keep them moist by not soggy. They've had about 8 hours of sun per day (at least when it's sunny).

I seem to be doing OK with tomatoes and peppers started inside, peas and lettuce started both inside and out, so I'm not a total failure. Just with radishes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. You guys have been a huge help as I've tried to learn this stuff over the past two months.

Jim

donworden
Cool Member

Don't be dismayed.... for I too cant grow those little buggers, try as I might. The soil where I am gardening keeps spitting stones and rocks to the surface, and I am thinking because of that.... :oops:

johnny123

Best I can tell you is loose soil, very little fertilizer, around 1" of water a week, alot of sun and temps around 65 to 70.
In our area with the temps in the 60's most of the time now is perfect for radishes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Maybe crowded? Radishes need at least two inches of space in all directions. That means four radishes in a six inch pot. Full sun, fertile soil and keep them damp. I like to plant them in rows and put a seed every two inches. Then move over four inches and make another row.

rootsy
Green Thumb

I can grow radishes without issue... I just never seem to be able to get them to maturity before the onion maggots decide to feast...

A sprinkling of sulfur seems to help...

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I can grow radishes, but they never seem to grow as I expect. I plant all of the seed the same, properly spaced, and with the correct amount of nutrients and moisture. I usually harvest one actual radish for every three plants that only produce a long root, but no radish. I just plant enough to insure I get as many actual radishes as I want. The flea beetles really make lace work of my radish leaves early in the spring, but it doesn't seem to effect the bulb production.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”