Wynn
Newly Registered

Potatoes

First year growing potatoes.

I planted some Kennebec's in a deep W shaped trench. They are growing well, and are about 8-12" tall. Do you cover them with soil at this point? Bury them like you would tomatoes, with just the tip protruding?

Thanks

johnny123

Just hill them every few weeks to keep all the potatoes under the ground and out of sunlight.

Good luck with them.
You'll never buy potatoes from the store again after tasting them fresh from the garden.

Pop sold potatoes to many locals and they were really mad when he stopped growing them.
He put up 10,000 bushels a year.
Alot of work.

johnny123

After they grow for awhile stick you fingers in the ground around them. If you feel potatoes getting close to the surface hill them.

rkunsaw

When they are about a foot tall cover all but the tops.I use chopped leaves or straw or compost because the soil in my garden is still too heavy and I need the organic material.Just covering them one time is usually enough.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yep, cover them as they grow up and the vines will put out more potatoes where they are covered. Some folks build build frames and stack them up as the plants grow, adding more dirt each time.

Some use straw, as well.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Burying leaves runs counter to my nature - but, hilling doesn't.

There are lots of different plants that can benefit from hilling, especially, if a little fertilizer is put down first and/or compost is used. Of course, green spuds are a risk without hilling.

Wynn, I've never planted in a "W shaped trench" but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”