jasbo

Do you water when starting potatoes?

A book put out by the local Extension Service Office and Master Gardeners says, when planting seed potatoes, "do not irrigate until the plants emerge." I took their word for it, but it sounds odd. I'm used to watering in anything I plant. Has anyone else heard this?

I watered the soil in the raised bed a bit before I planted the potatoes along with peas, lettuce and other cool season stuff. And there's been some rain, so they aren't bone dry.

Jim

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Unlike seeds, potatoes do not need to soak up water to germinate. They send out roots from the eye as soon as the sprout starts to grow, so as long as the soil has some moisture in it they will be fine. Soaking the ground after planting may be inviting rot.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have been wondering if gardeners in some of the rain-soaked parts of the country would be safer to wait very late to plant their seed potatoes.

My potatoes are already in the garden but I don't live where rains have come again and again this spring. I have also never planted potatoes really late - like say the end of May.

It may be a little cold for them but seed potatoes in the crisper drawer should have only very slow sprouting . . . just thinking, here. And, I'm sorry that this is a little off-topic.

(Jim, I think you live very close to where I lived as a kid. Our little farm was between Gold Hill and Rogue River, off highway 99.)

Steve

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I tried a little experiment with the first potatoes that I planted this year...
The spot where I planted has a clay base, and it was still pretty cool and wet. The soil just seemed too "heavy" to me. I had an old pile of nearly-decomposed corn stalks (from last year) nearby, so I shredded/powdered those up with my hands, and sprinkled a layer in the bottom of the "trench", topped that with a little soil, added the seed potatoes, and then covered those with a llittle more soil.

That was a few weeks ago, and all the potato plants are up and looking healthy. As I have been hilling the plants, I've been adding older brown grass clippings and pine needles to the soil, to help keep it loose and fluffy.

I don't have a "control planting" to compare, to know whether the techniques above made a real difference or not ... but, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't irrigate until after they are up. I don't irrigate any of the early crops in April or the first weeks of May. I won't get my irrigation water until close to June. I don't plant tomatoes out until Memorial Day. Perhaps I will have water by then?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

(Jim, I think you live very close to where I lived as a kid. Our little farm was between Gold Hill and Rogue River, off highway 99.)
Google Earth says its 385 miles from Paradise UT to Gold Hill Idaho. That is a pretty good hike. I guess you were talking to the other Jim ?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the other Jim - in Southern Oregon!

I "went Rogue" there long before . . .

well, awhile ago.

Steve :wink:

jasbo

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try to lay off the hose, but not curse the sprinkles that are bound to come our way now and then.

And Steve, yes you lived very close to where I am a little north of the "city" of Rogue River.

Jim

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don not water them until they are up and than not a whole lot after that.

I like to start a few early in large pots inside early spring I just add soil and the potatoes never any water. I have some now that just started to poke their heads.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”