FruitAddict
Cool Member

What new veggie are you trying this year?

I'm just curious to know what new veggie you are going to try in the garden this year - I like to try something new and different every year to see if there is anything I am missing out on... I could use some ideas for this year.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

These are not new to me, but are not talked about much here.

Koyoto Mizuna
Tah Tsai
Joi Choi

There are many interesting Asian greens.

I'll be trying Sweet potato this year. I've only grown them once in the past, with mixed results.

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Purple Mizuna to add to the salad mix. I am also growing artichoke plants this year after about a 6 yr. hiatus from growing them. Beautiful plants, but they do get pretty big.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Kinda boring, but sweet banana peppers, and lima beans.

Actually, aside from the lettuce and tomatoes- everything in my garden this year is new to me. It's definitely going to be an adventure :D

The Mad Hatter

Everything for me is new this year except for radishes. New stuff for me is beans, black Simpson lettuce, rainbow lights Swiss Chard, two different bell peppears that I can't remember the name of, Anaheim peppers, habanero peppers, mariachi peppers, cayenne peppers, celebrity tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, brandywine, tomatoes and a Serrano pepper or two.

T.M.H.

Spicy Chicken

Most of these are new to me.

Quantity and type germinated
in 3x3's 3/20/11 avg-2-1/2 in.tall

480--- Bhuts
175--- Scotch Bonnets
325--- Naga Vipers
60 ----chocolate habs
50---- 7pod not sure of the color
130--- Trinidad Scorpion
230--- Fatalii
90---- Chiltepin
300--- super chili's (hybrid)
190--- orange habs
110--- Caribbean Reds
20---- peter peppers
35---- red savannahs
150--- Garden salsa

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

We are trying yard long beans.

applestar
Mod

Ground Cherries. Please drop by and answer some questions [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35172]here[/url] if younahve experience with them.

Parsnips and rutabagas, Sun chokes, Pink-eyed purple hull beans, Okra.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

crosnes (chinese artichoke), moth beans, chickpeas, a third variety of sunchokes, groundnuts, mashua, sea kale, turkish rocket, ground plum, goldenberries (husk tomato cousin), good king henry...probably more I'm not thinking of just now. lots perennial veg experiments.

edit: I know something I forgot: a few chenopodium greens for experimentation; magentaspreen, strawberry spinach, and huauzontle.
Last edited by !potatoes! on Sun May 01, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I've decided to pretty much grow and many unusual veggies as possible.

My List, All New to Me!
Giant Cape Gooseberries
2 types of ground cherries
Hmong Cucumbers
Serpent Melon
Warty Pumpkin
Futsu Squash
Broccoli Rapini
Glow in the Dark Pepper
Amish Sweet Pepper
Kamo Kamo Squash
Giant Celeriac
Vine Peach
Dragon Tongue Beans

Nick D

Let's see...I have a couple starts of Swiss chard; a flat of habaneros; a few purple tomatillo seedlings; and a big flowerpot on the front porch into which my daughter and I threw some basil, sage, and thyme seeds.

I got the chard and habaneros at the local farmers' market (much cheaper than the big-box stores to my great surprise!), and I started the tomatillos and herbs from seed. Can't wait for purple salsa this summer. :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Started Asparagus beds this year ... however, I won't be able to harvest anything from those beds for another year or two.

johnny123

Kohlrabi

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted two new varieties of garlic in the fall. The rest of the garden will be pretty much as always. Oh, about forgot, trying Bright Lights Chard. I have grown chard for years, but not the varied color mix.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I planted two new varieties of garlic in the fall. The rest of the garden will be pretty much as always. Oh, about forgot, trying Bright Lights Chard. I have grown chard for years, but not the varied color mix.
I like the Bright Lights for the color it adds to a salad since I eat a lot of chard in my tossed salads. The colors don't hold up quite as well when cooked with the red stems being the most obvious in the pot and even they tend to fade a bit. But it does look great in the garden and is quite the conversation piece with folks that have never seen it before.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

But it does look great in the garden and is quite the conversation piece with folks that have never seen it before.
The color alone sells them at the Farmers Market. :)

Eric

Rogue11

Since I didn't grow much aside from tomatoes, peppers and herbs for the past few years I decided to expand this season to more tomatoes and peppers, but also...
squash - yellow straight neck and patty pan
zucchini - black beauty
eggplant - purple blaze, millionaire and white egg
cucumbers - persian and japanese
beans - kentucky blue and blue lake

New peppers I added this year are Hungarian Wax pepper and Chocolate beauty.
And as for tomatoes I added Mr. Stripey, Pink brandywine, Black pearl and Elberta peach

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
The color alone sells them at the Farmers Market. :)

Eric
I bet. The only chard I see in stores is the regular green with the white veins and you'd think that stuff was prime beef for what they charge. A couple weeks ago I was at the local market and saw some Chard for $2.50 a bunch and that bunch was only about 6-7 leaves. When I got home I told my wife about how much they wanted for chard and she told me I must have $1000 worth in the garden at those prices.

Question for you since you sell chard and likely other salad greens. How do you keep it fresh and crisp once picked and on display at the farmer's market? I know mine will keep nicely after picking and before final cleaning if I keep the cut stems submerged in a bucket of water.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Started Asparagus beds this year ... however, I won't be able to harvest anything from those beds for another year or two.
I have 3 asparagus beds. I am putting in another one this year. I got some two year old roots. I won't hesitate to harvest a few of the small spears next year. I don't think it hurts it much to do that. There is still plenty of time for it to grow up and strenghten the roots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jal try the Bright lights in you flower beds as well. I had leaves I could have used as shirts last year.

Nothing really weird for this year but my first time doing fall garlic, I can't wait. Some new variates of this and that but nothing out of the ordinary.

I need more room, thinking about that earlier............Hmm where will the next expansion be?

I want to try peanuts, kohlrabi, beets, yard long beans etc but I have no room.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”