DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

But it does look great in the garden and is quite the conversation piece with folks that have never seen it before.
The color alone sells them at the Farmers Market. :)

Eric

Rogue11

Since I didn't grow much aside from tomatoes, peppers and herbs for the past few years I decided to expand this season to more tomatoes and peppers, but also...
squash - yellow straight neck and patty pan
zucchini - black beauty
eggplant - purple blaze, millionaire and white egg
cucumbers - persian and japanese
beans - kentucky blue and blue lake

New peppers I added this year are Hungarian Wax pepper and Chocolate beauty.
And as for tomatoes I added Mr. Stripey, Pink brandywine, Black pearl and Elberta peach

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
The color alone sells them at the Farmers Market. :)

Eric
I bet. The only chard I see in stores is the regular green with the white veins and you'd think that stuff was prime beef for what they charge. A couple weeks ago I was at the local market and saw some Chard for $2.50 a bunch and that bunch was only about 6-7 leaves. When I got home I told my wife about how much they wanted for chard and she told me I must have $1000 worth in the garden at those prices.

Question for you since you sell chard and likely other salad greens. How do you keep it fresh and crisp once picked and on display at the farmer's market? I know mine will keep nicely after picking and before final cleaning if I keep the cut stems submerged in a bucket of water.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Started Asparagus beds this year ... however, I won't be able to harvest anything from those beds for another year or two.
I have 3 asparagus beds. I am putting in another one this year. I got some two year old roots. I won't hesitate to harvest a few of the small spears next year. I don't think it hurts it much to do that. There is still plenty of time for it to grow up and strenghten the roots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jal try the Bright lights in you flower beds as well. I had leaves I could have used as shirts last year.

Nothing really weird for this year but my first time doing fall garlic, I can't wait. Some new variates of this and that but nothing out of the ordinary.

I need more room, thinking about that earlier............Hmm where will the next expansion be?

I want to try peanuts, kohlrabi, beets, yard long beans etc but I have no room.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”