Cook in SC
Newly Registered

Tiny strawberries

I planted some strawberries for the first time back in February. The plants look beautiful, they are green, and they are producing a lot of flowers. However, the strawberries are tiny. They are growing in some soil with mushroom compost so I did not fertilize them. The compost might be a little spent. Any ideas of how to get bigger berries? Any help would be appreciated.

soil
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't expect huge berries the first year the plants arent established enough. plan on keeping the soil where they are as fertile as possible over the next year and expect a bumper crop next spring.

still enjoy the berries, we have a variety that produces nothing but small strawberries. they are the best strawberries you have ever eaten, and we also grow 4 other kinds of strawberries.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

They may be tiny (I had similar last year) but they ARE still pretty good for munching :D

Cook in SC
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info! They ARE the best tasting strawberries that I have ever eaten. I can't wait to see how they do next year.

applestar
Mod

What variety strawberries are they?

I have 4 named varieties with larger berries as well as wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana). the wild strawberries' largest first berry of the season *might* get to be 1" long by 1/2" wide, but mostly they are no larger than a woman's first finger joint. But they pack superior flavor when picked at peak ripeness -- I.e. they are mushy 4 hrs later -- and my kids say they prefer the wild strawberries above all else.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Are they June bearers? I like the everbearers. They give a great fall crop as well as a spring crop.

Yes, they will do better next year, or if everbearers, better in the fall.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What does "Day Neutral" mean? That the strawberry in queston doesn't care if it's a long day of sun or not?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Horticulture-Leaflets/Growing-Day-Neutral-Strawberries-In-Home-Gardens.pdf]Check This Out![/url]

Deborah, here is something that will help answer your question.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Are these by chance Alpine strawberries? If so, they will never produce big fruit. But though they are tiny, they pack a huge amount of taste in them.

Mike

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”