carnumbernine

Please help identify problems - squash, eggplant, tomato

Okay, so I'm posting 4 pics (One to prove that I'm not a total moron with the garden). The first is a squash plant, that I am noticing a signifigant issue on the base root of the plant. This plant was transplanted only about 3-4 weeks ago, and this is the first I've noticed this issue. I beleive it may be a vine borer but I'm not sure.

[img]https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/carnumbernine/IMG_3221.jpg[/img]

Next is a white eggplant (also transplanted at the same time). It's showing some holes with a brown rim. I also think it may be pests but I'm not sure what kind.

[img]https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/carnumbernine/IMG_3220.jpg[/img]

The third is my tomato plant. This was transplanted at the same time as the others. I'm concerned because some of the edges of the leaves are curling up and turning brown. Also a few of the lower leaves are dying off, like they are pinched and then the tips of the stems turn brown. I haven't seen anything that quite describes what is happening there. I thought it may be drought, but I am beginning to reconsider. Any clues?

[img]https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/carnumbernine/IMG_3223.jpg[/img]

And finally, my potato plants I started from eyes-to show that I can indeed be successful :) Just a pat on the back for me :)

[img]https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/carnumbernine/IMG_3217.jpg[/img]

Please, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Spongegirl
Cool Member

Hey there. Your spot looks just like my dad's. I think you need to enrich the soil. It looks hard. My dad sware's he uses good soil and all but it is sterile. He does get tomatoes but they arent' healthy plants.
Something I've had fun doing that I started last year is raising red wigglers in a tote. I can tell you more if want me to.
Good luck.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It never hurts to have rich soil.

I am in a very different part of the country. There have been no vine borers - and I'm knocking on all wood within reach that they don't show up.

The potatoes look like they are off to a good start! The tomato plant mostly looks like the leaves have had some tip burn from the sun,wind or, maybe, drying out a little. And, your eggplant doesn't look severely damaged.

I am fairly comfortable using the organic insecticides that I use. I like to spray in the late afternoon just before sundown to avoid sun damage to the freshly sprayed foliage and the Rotenone/Pyrethrin is a poison. Therefore it warrants careful handling.

Rotenone/Pyrethrin kills quite a few bugs but insecticidal soap works best for me on aphids and it even does a fairly good job with spider mites. I like to show up with the hose and rinse the soap off the plants the next morning. With the spider mites, I blast the plants with the hose FIRST then spray with the soap after the foliage has dried. Then I can rinse them off later

I think that it is important to wet the ground some with any insecticide since things like flea beetles will hide in debris on the soil surface thru much of the day. Both the Rotenone/Pyrethrin and the soap on the soil surface has even done a good job of keeping slugs away from my plants. Some gardeners have no idea that slugs or snails are eating on their plants because they are usually out at night.

Vine borers - no clue. Keep the soil moist to avoid sun damage. Have something handy to kill or deter especially the smaller bugs that you often can't see to pull off the plants by hand, anyway. And, come back to the forum often so that we can help you grow as a gardener, too.

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That squash plant seems real small to be having a SVB problem. I usually don't see them until the plant sets fruit and is at least 18-24 inches tall and that big across. Best way to tell is to look at the stem where it comes out the ground to see if you notice and lesions in the stem or yellow to greenish looking pulpy material that seems to be oozing out the plant.

As for the eggplant and tomato damage, could be some type of leaf eating critter like caterpillars that I see from time to time on my plants. If I see them, I'll just pluck them off and squish them. I have some of the same damage to my plants and it has not stopped them from putting out fruit. I now have tons of tomatoes and eggplants coming in.

carnumbernine

So your thinking apply some insecticide and enrich the soil with fertilizer?

Okay, can do-I need to get soil for the potato plants anyways :)

Thanks for the heads up!

And I will watch for catipillars!

Spongegirl
Cool Member

well, I don't think insecticide is necessary here. You only have a few plants. I think most people on here stay away from chemicals and use natural ways to take care of the problems. Worms are what you need. Insecticides will only poison your ground. You can make a mix of a soapy solutions to apply. there is many hints and suggestions around here for taking care of pest problems without the use of chemicals. I think research is what you need most. It's not just a matter of fertilizing. You need to add compost, manure, worms, flowers, spiders. You need a better balance in your garden. Making it pretty will also help out with problems. Have fun with it. There is not just cut and dry answers for growing veggies, I think. Load that garden spot up with plants! Try some herbs; put basil with your tomatoe. Put some onion seed in it. Did I mention worms...you need worms!

nosta

it is possible that the squash plant was not planted deeply enough. I believe that is the upper rim of the peat pot it was purchased in that I see encircling the bottom of the vine. If that is the rim of the peat pot I see then that would be my guess. I agree with Gumbo that the plant does seem a little small to have SVB but you never know. Check the bottom of the vine for lesions and oozing as he suggests.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

carnumbernine wrote:So your thinking apply some insecticide and enrich the soil with fertilizer? . . .
Well, no - I meant to have something on hand and be prepared to use it.

It is always far better to have some idea of what you are dealing with before acting. I mean, it could be birds and a little scare-tape in the garden would be the way to go.

A lot of time, we delay dealing with a problem because we aren't prepared. It looks to me that you are being pro-active. That's great! Finding a serious problem one weekend and deciding to check on it again next weekend, often doesn't turn out well in the garden.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”