gardenbean

Comfry and Lemon Balm

Decided to go with these two plants in my garden to help my overrall health of my soil,. has anyone here had experiences with these plants that you care to share with.

Read that Lemon Balm helps bring in the bees but not sure how it helps with the soil.

soil
Greener Thumb

make sure you get bocking 14 comfrey or it will spread everywhere.

lemon balm is best used as a companion plant rather than soil improvement. what kind of soil do you have there are lots of other plants that will do the job.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lemon balm is very easy to grow, somewhat weedy in my garden, popping up all over. It is a lovely tea herb, great in mixtures with other things. I'm not familiar with it as a soil improvement.

The comfrey is good in the soil or in the compost pile. Really helps speed up your compost pile. Here's a nice little article about it:

https://www.the-organic-gardener.com/Comfrey.html

gardenbean

@soil, my soil is heavy clay. And this being my first time around with a garden so naturally the spot I have choosen needs lots of work with improving the quality of the soil.

On a side note, can I ask you what is your monkier of? When I see it makes me giggle!! :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

just know that where you plant comfrey, it stays for good. if you plan on using the area later for something else. I would use other soil building plants.

monkier? a little lost here.

applestar
Mod

Your avatar, soil. I think it's a praying mantis, but I might be wrong...
Love its cute little smile.

soil
Greener Thumb

its a damselfly. one of my beneficial insects that control pests. they catch pest insects as they try and fly from plant to plant, in route they get picked off by the damselflies with the quickness.

Des_WA

I have never grown either, but I do recall a thread talking about comfrey and if you scroll down to Tonythegardener's January 19, 2011 post it has some very useful info on using comfrey to benefit your garden:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29336

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”