speedster7926

ok was this a good idea for a drip system

I came up with an idea to make a homemade drip system for one of my beds my "seed bed" which the seeds are now 6in tall lol purple cowpeas. its a 1ft wide by 12ft long raised bed. I got a 13ft 3/4in pvc pipe, capped one end, drilled holes in the bottom drilled holes in either end of the bed stuck through the holes on other end of capped pvc pipe attached a water hose connection so all I have to do is turn on water hose and it waters my plants by drip.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

It will work if you can keep the pressure low enough. One other thing to watch for is that the end closest to the hose will put our slightly more water than the far end sometimes.

johnny123

Yes, It will work. You might find that you will need a valve in the begining of the pipe to control the flow. They make valves that you can get that will glue right onto the pipe.
I have a system very similar to yours and the valve works good to control the flow.
Once the valve is installed leave it open full and turm on the water and then start closing the valve until you get the flow the way you want it out of all the holes.

soil
Greener Thumb

yea if the pressure gets too high your going to have micro jets coming out of each hole blasting your plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”