Aya

Need help! Potato and Melon Issues

Okay, so since I've put my melons and potatoes in the ground I've noticed the following issues respectively:

Potatoes: Browning leaves and stems with seemingly healthy new growth

Melon: Not sure if its pumpkin or something else, but the cotyledon leaves are kind of a silvery gray color and the new growth is browning around the edges.

I also made a discovery while reading the back of one of the bags of soil I put in my raised beds. After putting it in my bed and finding these issues, I saw that the bag said "Do not use in containers" - could this be the issue? And if so, what can I do about it? I have about $100.00 worth of soil in this bed along with plants - so I can't take it back. The annoying thing is, I asked the person at the garden center what type of soil I should get for my raised beds and she told me to get this stuff...

[img]https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p121/WereAya/Melon-Issue.jpg[/img] The melon/pumpkin

[img]https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p121/WereAya/Potato-Issue.jpg[/img] The potatoes

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Looks like sunburn/windburn. The soil is probably not for containers because it is a heavy mix and would compact.

speedster7926

I cheated this year and bough a few bags of the miracle grow garden soil for $5 at walmart 1.5cubic ft and I put some in some buckets for my cucumbers and it does not seem to be very good in it but in my raised beds my palnts have been in the ground 1 month and my toms have grown over 3 ft and I have little tomatoes everywhere and my zucchini's and squash are about 4 ft high and have 4in fruit on them so if it is that I say use it lol and I also got some compost in my garden too but not much started late last year

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”