wiscopeppers

Browning/Yellowing on Pepper Leaves

Hi everyone, I'm really new to any type of gardening, and hoping someone has seen something like this and can offer me some advice.

The following pics are from some of my White Habeneros. The leaves on about half of them have started to take on this brown/yellow blotching. They started doing this last week after I had I had topped off the dirt in their containers.

I initially thought that spilled soil mix on the leaves had caused it, but I had these outside again yesterday for about an hour and more plants seem to be effected now. Could this be sun burn? Am I too concerned? I'm also growing Bhut Jolokia and Scotch Bonnet in similar conditions and none of my other peppers have this problem, only the White Habs.

[img]https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk9imzGk931qh7v2m.jpg[/img]

[img]https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk9imkgJyv1qh7v2m.jpg[/img]

Thanks for any help you can provide!

wiscopeppers

Is it even possible that an organic potting soil could cause something like this if left on the leaves?

I hope so...

veteran

Of all the pepper diseased I have researched to find out what my problem is I haven't came across a pepper disease that looks like this. Is it possible you are watering too much? Most peppers enjoy slightly moist soul, not soaked. Maybe try cutting back on watering, or try a hydrogen peroxide solution?

Use these links:
https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

https://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/extension/vegdis/VegDisases/Identification_files/peppers.htm

https://www.thechileman.org/guide_disease.php

wiscopeppers

its possble, I'm watering them all basically the same. would white habs really like that much less water than the bhuts and the scotch bonnets?

wiscopeppers

also, thank you very much for the reply, I'm glad to know that you have looked into this sort of thing and haven't seen anything like this. it makes me hopeful that it's nothing major. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I'm guessing disease, but only because I've made every mistake possible with Habaneros and haven't ever seen this :lol:

wiscopeppers

lol, yeah, it probably is something more serious than I was hoping. One of the sick leaves fell off today, here's a better shot of what's going on.

[img]https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkbeuphkYY1qh7v2m.jpg[/img]

wiscopeppers

from everything I've looked at I think it's safe to assume that this is some type of disease. I noticed a few new leaves starting to form the small colored circles this morning.

has anyone here had any luck with the hydrogen peroxide mix? would you be willing to share your experience?

another question I have, should I seperate these peppers from the rest of my crop? I have the tray of habeneros on the same shelf as a tray of ghost peppers, and I would hate to start seeing this happen to the ghost peppers. thinking about pulling out a couple extra lights I have and giving these guys their own shelf until they get better or wither away (which I really don't want to have happen).

JZydowicz

Coincidentally, I also live in Madison, and I'm also growing peppers, and they also are having some browning (just like yours) and yellowing. I do have some problems with whiteflies (I think), but the damage they make is just little light brown splotches. I'm not sure =/

Despite the crappy weather, have you managed to put your peppers outside at all? Maybe it's some kind of scorch damage.

wiscopeppers

I did have them outside for a about a 1/2 hour about a week ago, and then again for about an hour on Monday. Would sunburn cause the leaves to drop? Could my lights be the cause?

These are probably all pretty stupid questions, but I really don't know anything about growing plants :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I sunburned my Habs two days ago. I put them outside for two hours and forgot them Two hours became five, and many of their leaves are now almost white. Very annoying!

veteran

wiscopeppers wrote:lol, yeah, it probably is something more serious than I was hoping. One of the sick leaves fell off today, here's a better shot of what's going on.

[img]https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkbeuphkYY1qh7v2m.jpg[/img]

Based on this image it's starting to look more like bacterial spotting (the first disease listed here: https://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/extension/vegdis/VegDisases/Identification_files/peppers.htm)

Read the entire paragraph on it and let me know what you think. Based on my understanding you want to toss the plant out asap before it infects every other plant, and sanitize the area it was at as a splash of water will spread the disease and it remains active for over a year.

wiscopeppers

Thanks for the replies. Bacterial Spot sounds reasonable, though not what I want to hear. :(

I may seperate them out so they can't infect the other peppers and see what happens. I really don't want to toss over half my White Hab's, but if it's that or kill all of them...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sunburn. Like stella said, too much light for plants not accustomed to it causes bleaching out, pale to white spots. It does not cause darkening. I would go with the disease theory too.

wiscopeppers

thanks for all the tips everyone. I've separated the offenders from the rest of the peppers. there are maybe 2 white habs that don't have any signs, (the two smallest, sickliest of the bunch) but all the others (about 15) do, plus 1 scotch bonnet. I'm guessing the white hab seeds were all just bad. this is almost 1/3 of the peppers I was going to plant this year. I'm very sad, but at least my 9 ghost peppers and the remaining 25 scotch bonnets seem to be uneffected.

well, I guess I don't have to make quite as big of a raised bed in the back yard. :?

veteran

wiscopeppers wrote:thanks for all the tips everyone. I've separated the offenders from the rest of the peppers. there are maybe 2 white habs that don't have any signs, (the two smallest, sickliest of the bunch) but all the others (about 15) do, plus 1 scotch bonnet. I'm guessing the white hab seeds were all just bad. this is almost 1/3 of the peppers I was going to plant this year. I'm very sad, but at least my 9 ghost peppers and the remaining 25 scotch bonnets seem to be uneffected.

well, I guess I don't have to make quite as big of a raised bed in the back yard. :?
Way to look at the bright side! I lost a bhut today too, and figured I saved $5 on a planter! Depending on the size of your remaining plants it might not be a bad idea to do a precautionary (not treatment) dosage of a fungicide.

wiscopeppers

haha, yeah, that's a good way to look at it, but my condolences none the less. :)

I don't suppose you've got a recommendation on a nice organic fungicide?

veteran

wiscopeppers wrote:haha, yeah, that's a good way to look at it, but my condolences none the less. :)

I don't suppose you've got a recommendation on a nice organic fungicide?
If you need a good safe organic fungicide simply mix 2 tablespoons of Baking Soda per gallon of water, spay the plants liberally. This puts an alkaline coating on the plants which doesn't allow the fungus to grow and is completely safe for both plants and animals.

Source:
Lots of good info here: https://www.simplyhydro.com/previous.htm

wiscopeppers

great, thanks. I think I'm going to call the white habs a total loss and get rid of all them and all the containers they were in, but I'll spray down the remaining plants tonight and keep a close eye on them.
Coincidentally, I also live in Madison, and I'm also growing peppers, and they also are having some browning (just like yours) and yellowing. I do have some problems with whiteflies (I think), but the damage they make is just little light brown splotches. I'm not sure =/

Despite the crappy weather, have you managed to put your peppers outside at all? Maybe it's some kind of scorch damage.
JZydowicz, what kind of peppers are you growing?

JZydowicz

Standard peppers: jalapeno, poblano, cayenne, serrano. My peppers are already having some problems, since I've got some bad whiteflies (or maybe thrips) eating away at them. I'm hoping they'll recover when I start getting them outside for a few hours (if it ever warms up) so the wind will keep the bugs away.
In our area, high pH water and hard water (calcium carbonate) probably don't help anything either. :lol:

wiscopeppers

Standard peppers: jalapeno, poblano, cayenne, serrano. My peppers are already having some problems, since I've got some bad whiteflies (or maybe thrips) eating away at them. I'm hoping they'll recover when I start getting them outside for a few hours (if it ever warms up) so the wind will keep the bugs away.
In our area, high pH water and hard water (calcium carbonate) probably don't help anything either.
the copps on park street in madison sells distilled water, .39 for a refilled 1 gallon jug. I've been going there once every week or two and refilling eight 1 gallon jugs for just a few dollars and using that instead of tap water, seems to be working pretty good, but I haven't really tested the pH to know for sure.

Tyler_SlamDunk
Newly Registered

Hi wiscopeppers

I came across your problem through a google search. I am in the exact same scenario with my Bhut Joklia (ghost peppers). What was the resolution to your issue
veteran wrote:
wiscopeppers wrote:lol, yeah, it probably is something more serious than I was hoping. One of the sick leaves fell off today, here's a better shot of what's going on.

Based on this image it's starting to look more like bacterial spotting (the first disease listed here: https://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/extension/ ... eppers.htm)

Read the entire paragraph on it and let me know what you think. Based on my understanding you want to toss the plant out asap before it infects every other plant, and sanitize the area it was at as a splash of water will spread the disease and it remains active for over a year.
years back?

Tyler_SlamDunk
Newly Registered

Hi All

I am now experiencing the same issues as wiscopeppers. What was the ultimate resolution to the issue?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”