ButterflyGarden

Why Won't My Green Onions Sprout?

I have tried twice to grow green onions in a container and only got one from my first attempt. The temp is mild, the birds have been kept away and I've been giving it water, sun and fertilizer. What's wrong?

applestar
Mod

I have heard that onion seeds lose viability rather quickly -- could that be the problem? Also be sure you are not sowing them too deep.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree. Small seeds like onions I don't bury at all. Just pat them down a little to be sure they are in contact with the soil and sift/dust a little bit of potting soil lightly over the top. Tiny seeds like petunias, I don't even cover.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I barely cover my onion seeds when I sow them. Also, I over-sow to compensate if there is a low germination rate.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

May I suggest: Make sure your seed is fresh. Onion seed loses viability rather quickly as seed goes. Plant them 1/2 inch deep, water and put in a warm place. The top of the refrigerator works. Do not fertilize nor worry about sunlight until you see them emerge. The main thing is that they remain damp and warm for a few days. I plant onion seed directly in the garden where it will grow and always plant 1/2 inch deep. Do you want some onion seed? Send me your address.

ButterflyGarden

Do you want some onion seed? Send me your address.
Thanks but I don't think you can send seeds internationally. Correct em if I'm wrong.

I will try again with some fresh seeds and plant them like you all suggested and see what happens.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OOPS! I didn't notice where you were located. I have no idea what the regulations are. I don't know who to ask to find out.

ButterflyGarden

Wonder of Wonders. I tried 3 times to get my green onions to sprout with no luck so I gave up and let the one that was there grow. Well, out of no where, a whole bunch of them just sprung up. Go figure.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am glad they finally came up. Must have been either a water issue or a heat issue.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”