tedln
Super Green Thumb

Another Garden Update!

Last fall, I posted some photos of new straw bales I planned on treating all winter for planting some veggies as a decoration and just for fun. This is a photo I took today of the same straw bales. I have Swiss chard and Spinach planted in the center of the bales with yellow and red Tumbling Tom cherry tomatoes planted along the edge of the bales. The cherry tomatoes should drape over the bales to the ground. I planted the tomatoes simply to look pretty, but I have been told they also taste good.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2011%20Garden/04-25-11/IMG_2768.jpg[/img]

Some of my onions are about three inches in diameter.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2011%20Garden/04-25-11/IMG_2764.jpg[/img]

This bed is full of tomatoes, onions, and yellow squash. I should harvest yellow squash later this week and some early tomatoes should be ripe by May 1.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2011%20Garden/04-25-11/IMG_2773.jpg[/img]

This is one of my cucumber trellis. The Swiss chard is growing great. The Romaine lettuce is already bolting and needs to be pulled and replaced with carrots. The cucumbers are just beginning to climb the trellis and I should have cucumbers within ten days.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2011%20Garden/04-25-11/IMG_2782.jpg[/img]

We can't eat lettuce or give it away fast enough to make a dent. It is getting really tall, but hasn't started to bolt. I think the shade from the tomato plants in front have kept it from bolting.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2011%20Garden/04-25-11/IMG_2772.jpg[/img]

Some of my tomato plants are nearly five feet tall and loaded with blooms and small fruit. If a hailstorm or some other natural calamity doesn't hit it, it should be a great tomato year. After last years horrible tomato year, it is really nice to look at tomato plants that seem to be enjoying themselves.

Ted

SPierce
Greener Thumb

OOhh, that's a very interesting use of the hay bales- I'm interested! Did you plant the plants directly into the hay, or make holes, fill them with dirt, and plant the plants in that? That's a fantastic idea for saving room!

Aside from that, I'm so jealous of your lovely garden and that you're able to eat out of it already. Mine's just starting and isn't anywhere near yours- but I'm hoping in a few months! :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I treated the straw bales all winter with fertilizer and dirt and washed it into the bales. I planted the chard seed and spinach into the bales. For the tomatoes, I made small holes and filled them with potting soil around the root balls of the tomatoes. The tomato plants are now sending their roots into the bales. I understand you can plant everything direct in the bales the second season after they have rotted more on the inside.

After the second year, they should make good compost for the garden.
Ted

SPierce
Greener Thumb

tedln wrote:I treated the straw bales all winter with fertilizer and dirt and washed it into the bales. I planted the chard seed and spinach into the bales. For the tomatoes, I made small holes and filled them with potting soil around the root balls of the tomatoes. The tomato plants are now sending their roots into the bales. I understand you can plant everything direct in the bales the second season after they have rotted more on the inside.

After the second year, they should make good compost for the garden.
Ted
thats a wonderful idea I shall have to try out! Thank you!

Halfway
Green Thumb

Such a great idea with the bales Ted!

All of your beds look really good and clean. I like the support trellis as well. Some ingenuity at it's finest. :arrow: 8)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Ted, this looks great! When I was looking at the photos, I was hoping you were out of the path of last night's tornadoes. You deserve a sterling year!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Stella,

Yes I was away from the tornadoes. I have even dodged all the hailstorms this spring. I probably won't miss all the hailstorms through the summer.

I've always been fascinated by tornadoes. As a kid, I enjoyed sitting on a hillside and watching them go past in the distance. They have a beauty almost as a living organism as they dance around and twist in the sky. When they touch the ground, there is an explosion of dirt and debris lifted skyward. Watching from a distance, they seem to appear and disappear in an instant. I've always been amazed by their beauty and at the same time their destructive and deadly power.

I hope you have a great gardening season as well.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”