aaronmartin8
Newly Registered

JUST STARTED A VEGETABLE AND A FLOWER GARDEN AND NEED HELP!!

Hi, I'm a new gardener and I have a location and am ready to plant but I don't know what to put in there.

I have a bed for vegetables and one for flowers and I have no idea what to put in either of them.

I have lots of time but I live in Florida and have a big field that has sandy soil and only have a 100 square feet to plant a vegetable garden and only 15/2 to plant flowers.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Aaron,

You don't say where in Florida you are so it would be difficult to say what you can plant now. Here in Maryland about the only thing to plant now would be garlic as we've had some frost. Florida has hardiness zones 8 to 11.

Sandy soil is good for root veggies.

Also, is the planting area for your flowers bordering your veggie garden? If so, are you looking for flowers to plant as companions for your veggies?

Newt

aaronmartin8
Newly Registered

HEY THANKS FOR THE LINK I'm IN ZONE 10 AND THANKS FOR THE LINK

Newt
Greener Thumb

Aaron, you are very welcome! This site lists what you can do in your garden by the month. Just click on the month under Monthly Gardening Tips and then scroll down to your zone. Here's what you can do for October in zone 10.
Zone 10

* Plant annuals for fall color
* Set out fall and winter-blooming plants
* Plant winter- and spring-blooming bulbs
* Feed and water cacti and succulents that are growing or blooming
* Feed houseplants that are growing or blooming
* Plant winter-blooming perennials
* Prune fall-flowering shrubs and vines after bloom
* Sow cool-season vegetable seeds
* Start seeds for cool-season or winter vegetables
Maybe [url=https://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/ec/ec1228/]this will be helpful too[/url].

Here's the Florida Extension Service site with lots of stuff to read.
https://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/

I'm thinking we have met on another board. If so then this should be your local extension service site.
https://charlotte.ifas.ufl.edu/

Newt

aaronmartin8
Newly Registered

THANKS FOR THE 411 :D [/list]

Newt
Greener Thumb

You're so very welcome!! I will expect a nice salad come spring. :wink:

Newt

aaronmartin8
Newly Registered

THAT IS IF IT MAKES THERE STILL FRESH I MIGHT HAVE TO OVERNIGHT IT TO YOU!!! LOL!!! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

for flower suggestions, a good site is floridata.com, but they unfortunately don't do veggies....

For what veggies to plant when in your climate, there is this guide:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This thread is over four years old; perhaps the OP found the information he was seeking?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh shoot... I'm usually better about spotting these resurrections. Should have looked! Thanks cynthia!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hi I am in Florida as well and right above you (well perhaps) anyhow I live near the Kennedy Space Center. Zone 9 I did some raised beds and pots and some items in the ground this past year. I have a full garden going now. Even with the few freezes we have experienced I have managed to only lose a few items. I have alot of beans growing - all producing right now. Lots of different varieties of lettuce. Don't ask the name(s) , I just know it is a mix of different ones (not head lettuce)- it is growing great. I also just harvested Broccoli for the very first time and have new plants coming behind this crop. I also tried my hand at peas and the second variety was really good, the first variety I chose not so good. The tomatos are doing well, getting down to my last few plants - I did lose two nice size plants in the cold. Peppers are hit and miss and that is probably due to me - I am only a year into this. I think the weather is perfect now compared to later in the spring and of course summer. I faired much better from October up till now then I did last year from march on. You could probably start a number of things. In fact I would recommend starting now, I think that is what I did wrong last year and why I didn't have great luck. I didn't start until March. I would start flowers once you figure on a variety to attract bees for your veggies. 8) I already have sunflowers growing - last year I did it all at the same time, so by the time the flowers starting attracting anything it was too late - alot of veggies had petered out. I did not have any luck with squashes, the worms were horrible, :x same with corn, carrots were just too much work and space for what I got - so I will not do these or the corn this year. I will though try again with Squash (I LOVE SQUASH) :D - I have some ideas I got from this forum I hope to implement. I did go to the library and check out some books on Florida gardeing, with the sandy soil and the heat I knew it would be alittle more challenging. Good luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”