TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

How dense for snap peas?

This year I followed the package directions and planted peas 1"-2" apart for a trellis, and am wondering if I should or should not put in a second row on the other side of each trellis (about 6" away from the first). That would be two rows, 6" apart with peas sown every 1-2" with the 7 ft trellis down the middle.

Good idea or bad?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put another row close since they are shallow root plants and will grow well under those conditions in my opinion since I have grown them for years!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would do it. They can be planted very close together. There was just a thread on this somewhere on here. I did this last year but didn't allow for room to get in between rows and harvest (WHOOPS) They did wonderful but I had to sort of harvest all at once since I had to cut them down to get to them.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

OK, I put in the second row now that I have somebody to blame for failure. :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now it's my fault. :lol:

Did you use any inoculate. I used some last year on one bed and not another. The inoculated one was 3 times the harvest of the other. Could be different beds soil conditions or whatever. But the one that did better was in the newest garden so theoretically the lesser soil. That is also the bed that I planted super close together it was literally a jungle in there.

If you need some they had it at Home Depot with the bean/pea seeds for cheap. It last a few plantings and the bacteria stays in the ground so you don't have to reapply.

Good luck (it's on my head now). :P

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”