rootsy
Green Thumb

My 2011 Cash Crop - Tobacco

Well, hopefully anyway. I have 290 of these in 4 varieties in 72 cell trays with another 1000 or so (maybe more) that aren't quite big enough to up pot yet. This is the free seed from the USDA I received. All 4 varieties seem to have germinated well, all in the basemen,t on heat mats, under artificial light.

Plan to sell these locally at market and plant a couple of rows of each for myself to harvest seed from and turn into an organic insecticide (nicotine). We'll see how they do in Michigan on plastic (my research thesis). I love the smell of cured tobacco but I hate the smell of smoke... Go figure.

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/g5.jpg[/img][/img]

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I prefer a pinch between the cheek and gum! :shock:

Be sure to keep us updated!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the same USDA that subsidizes sugar, corn, and other commodities which make up the primary ingredients of junk food and then establishes campaigns about childhood (and adult) obesity.

The USDA's mission statement is a little confused, don't you think?

But yes, there's a thread running around here somewhere about access to tobacco seed *if* you are growing it to test a specific hypothesis (I.e., performing an extended field experiment).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rootsy
Green Thumb

I guess it is the USDA...

You can request more than just tobacco. Searching takes a bit of sleuthing... You must have a research purpose for requesting and receiving seeds though...

https://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

From online form submission to 4000 (.1g /ea package) seeds arriving at my door, free of charge (including shipping) was less than 5 days.

Germination has been good on all of them

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

rootsy -

ref: Plan to sell these locally at market and plant a couple of rows of each for myself to harvest seed from and turn into an organic insecticide (nicotine).

do be sure to research how to handle nicotine solutions, concentrates , etc.
it may be "organic" but yes, you can kill yourself . . .

rootsy
Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote:rootsy -

ref: Plan to sell these locally at market and plant a couple of rows of each for myself to harvest seed from and turn into an organic insecticide (nicotine).

do be sure to research how to handle nicotine solutions, concentrates , etc.
it may be "organic" but yes, you can kill yourself . . .
I realize that... As with any chemical. Who knows, sales may be good and I don't end up with much (crossing my fingers)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”