kierag

squash and zucchini brown spots and edges

This is my 2nd year to have a garden. My squash and zuchini are both getting brown spots and the edges are turning brown. Also something is eating the leaves on a few of them and my egg plant. Please help me. I don't have a clue what to do and I'm scared I'm going to loose all my plants.
Thank you,
Kiera

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kiera, Welcome to HG. :D

A little more information maybe helpful.

What has the weather been like?

Are these plants in the ground or containers?

In either case, what is the soil like?

Fertilizer?

Eric

kierag

The weather has been great. Sunny and a little warm but not bad. I have been watering every 1-2 days. They are in the ground and everyone that has seen my garden has said it is the best soil. Its really soft dirt. I have fertilized 2 times already. However I did buy some black thin paper to keep out the weeds. Seems to be working. The water does soak through and I have been checking just to make sure.

kierag

Oh, I also put some Dipple dust on them yesterday when I got home. I think its kinda like 7 dust. Is this ok or should I rinse off?

johnny123

It won't hurt them. It may help if you have an insect problem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I never heard of the Dipple before, but if it is like Sevin (carbaryl) it is nasty stuff... harmful to people and the environment, to beneficial insects as well as herbivorous ones. It can also burn your plants. I don't know that that is what happened to your squash, but it is one possibility.

Here's a thread where we had a long discussion about Sevin, pros and cons, with links to some of the info about its effects.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142050#142050

Otherwise some pictures of your plants would help us help you figure out what happened to them....

johnny123

Earth Day is over.
Sevin is not much more than a good flea powder when it comes right down to it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kiera,

This is why I hesitated on answer the Sevin, not seven, question.

We have a Vegetable Gardening forum and a Organic Gardening Forum I believe the two should never mix, but they are continuously intertwined. I'm am guilty of this also. :?

I believe your question is in the right category, but my answer would not be.

Happy 113th earth day of 2011

Eric

johnny123

If you are worried about chemicals you will worry youself to death.

Not counting the thousands of them used every day in products but what is used in food will have you up all night a nervous wreck.

Use what you think is best for the problem with your plants and follow the instuctions.

If you feel better not using them then don't.

You will sleep better at night doing what you think is best.

johnny123

Glad you didn't.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

johnny123,

I noticed you haven't introduced yourself in the Introduction forum and you have no profile. It maybe easier to understand and follow your ideas with a little back ground.

Thank you
Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”