tedln
Super Green Thumb

Anyone growing peanuts as a vegetable?

In the south, peanuts are eaten as a vegetable when boiled in the shell. I think it may be the state vegetable dish of Georgia. In Louisiana, trucks sell fresh boiled peanuts along the roads for people to take home after work for dinner. I tried them and they are good. When I first heard of them, I thought they were probably cooked while the shells were still green like green beans. I was wrong. They cook them when the shells are dried and brown.

Ted

applestar
Mod

I've tried growing peanuts for last two years and probably will again this year, but so far, I can only make enough for next year's seed. :roll: :lol:

bg
Cool Member

I don't eat boiled peanuts, but I do have one plant that I started from seed in my new garden to see how they will do. I'm sure I'll add a couple more later. It seems though, that I'll need to provide some shade for it though, since the sun here is burning the leaves.

My hope is to get some peanuts and make my own peanut butter with them, I've been wanting to do that for a while. I like to make the things that I like, at least once.

They seem to grow fast, and it's neat to see them fan out during the day and fold up at night. I'll keep trying until I succeed ;3

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I never grow enough peanuts to do lots of things with them. Each year my scattered peanut plants get more and more scattered and less common. It's the squirrels that sharecrop with me. Heck, I think the peanuts in this property were all imported by great grandparents of the squirrels I have now. Last year was no more than a pint of goobers in the shell. And the few I've seen sprout this year so far have disappeared already. Always an adventure...

But I'll buy raw peanuts just to boil them. I'll do 'em plain or hot or with bits of ham. Mmmm, boiled peanuts.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”