trinoc

Summer seems to be early here, too. My first lesson of this year: You can't go by calendar alone but must pay attention to weather and temps. I put spinach and onions in "in time" but that is an average "in time"...since this year is so warm I think I was a couple of weeks late. My spinach may give me a little bit because it does still seem to be growing and I've been thinning my rows so the plants have room...but the onions seem to be less than enthused.

I was trolling around today and noticed that my beans that did sprout seem to happen to be a few seeds in a row...meaning they're too close together. So, I'm trying to decide if I should cull them or try to transplant them to an area of the row that did not germinate. I have one semi-terrific looking little bean plant.

Someone mentioned not "over-doing" anything and that's helpful! I'm pretty sure I was over watering. I've backed off and things look happier (plants can look happy...that amazes me!). My soil is absolutely horrid. I tilled in compost, humus, and manure but I think not enough. I hoe it to keep it turned and to keep weeds from getting comfortable but as soon as it rains it looks flat and cracked across the top....like an arid plain. Underneath that it is still moist but on top it looks awful. It's "crusty". :shock: So, I think that will be my main battle all year...is maintaining a good growing medium w/o allowing myself to get too gungho and completely overdo it.

Des_WA

Ah I'm jealous of you trinoc! I just read an article about how April in Seattle thus far has set record LOW highs... :roll: I'm so antsy to get things going and this weather is dragging on..

trinoc

Des_WA wrote:Ah I'm jealous of you trinoc! I just read an article about how April in Seattle thus far has set record LOW highs... :roll: I'm so antsy to get things going and this weather is dragging on..
Well, I'm jealous of every other aspect of where you live!!!! My parents are in Puyallup and the Pacific Northwest is probably my favorite spot on Earth! :-D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”