gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sweet potato propogation questions

I know many of us have discussed this in the past but I am still %100 on this subject and would like to be.

I know many (no most) people will tell you the "spud in a cup" method is the way to go. Meaning putting a sweet potato in a cup of water to get growth from them. This has never been very good for me though I am new to this somewhat. I prefer the "spud in mud" method (copyright there :lol: ). It seems to work for me.

Okay who really cares how you do it but eventually you come up with sprouts out of the potatoes. Now what??????? :?

Do I take a chunk of spud with it when putting to put in new soil or do I cut as close to the spud as I can and plant that? I have some growing and want to get this right. I would just experiment but I don't want to waste all my hard work.

Here are some pics of my progress thus far.

Notice the only water on the left started at the same time as the one in the middle with soil. The one on the right was started later but even it is beginning to sprout.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05135.jpg[/img]

Here is another attempt in the basement they are in soil on a heating pad 24/7 they have sprouted quite fast. I am %100 sure that they need warmth to sprout that is for sure.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05136.jpg[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

you cut the slips which are the vines, when about 6 inches long. root those and then plant those. use the spud in mud as the mother potato, it keeps growing, and you keep taking as many slips as you need.

krzyk4
Cool Member

Oh, I'm glad you asked the question because I was wondering the same thing. I thought I was going to plant them like potatoes :oops:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Soil but I'm still a little confused.

Do you just cut the right at the base of the slip. Than you said root them do you mean just put them in soil or put them in water.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I buy grocery store sweet potatos and leave them out where they get some sun light exposure. In a few weeks one end of each potato starts to grow sprouts. The cut off the end with the sprouts and plant it in the garden cover it with about 1/2" of soil. I eat the other 90% of the sweet potato. Nothing is wasted. In a week or so the sprouts come up through the soil. As the plants get larger I cover the area with a little more soil. I have to keep an eye on things in about 2 month sweet potatoes sometimes start braking through the soil so I need to keep the potatoes covered by putting soil over them. The vine spread everywhere and will sprout roots. It does not take long the end of 1 potato will grow a dozen very large sweet potatoes. If you can collect some sheet rock scraps from a construction site till that into your soil your sweet potato crop will tripple.

soil
Greener Thumb

Do you just cut the right at the base of the slip. Than you said root them do you mean just put them in soil or put them in water.

just cut the slip off its not too complicated. then into water or moist soil to root. its easier to keep check on the ones in water and plant when they root but both work.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's a really good question, Gix. There is a lot of ambiguity regarding this subject.

From what I understand (and I've only read on the subject, never tried it) you would cut off the slip at the base, keeping them oriented with the top at the top and the bottom at the bottom. Next, plant these slips with about 3/4 of the slip covered with the top part sticking up.

This site doesn't detail planting them per-say, but does give some pretty interesting insights into when to plant them https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/sweetpotato_catalog.html

Hope this helps.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Working on it. I cut my first one to see what it would do, that one seems fine. I have a ton growing in the basement.

Maybe I have a way to make so money next year if I can figure this out. Sweets are are in high demand with low production around here. Well at least until it's kinda late to be panting that is.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”